1980 Exciter 300 special rear shock

deerslayer1979

I am dealing with a soft rear suspension on this sled, I think the shock is toast. What I need to know is where can I find a new shock? I've been looking on google but I don't think I trust what I am finding. Any help would be appreciated, would love to be able to start teaching my son how to drive this little bugger.
DS79

So what other options are there? I only spent $300 for a pair of these 300's and I don't intend on being a trail sled for me, but a bomber sled for my kids. Just need the suspension to handle me riding it while I teach them what they need to know. Does it make a difference if the suspension is supposedly from a 340?
DS79

Check out Shade Tree Powersports they have them starting at $30 according to my catalog. I've run these shocks before on my sleds and the work pretty good and last quit awhile.

Western powersports:
http://catalogs.wps-inc.com/2016/snowmobile/#1068/z

Hyd $34.95
Gas $99.95

It shows the 300 and 340 take the same shock.

I swear I already said this.....

If you said this in the other post, I didn't see it. I was not getting much response and I figured out I was posting in the wrong board. I moved it over to the vintage board hoping for some faster responses. I appreciate the info either way.
DS79

I am dealing with a soft rear suspension on this sled, I think the shock is toast. What I need to know is where can I find a new shock? I've been looking on google but I don't think I trust what I am finding. Any help would be appreciated, would love to be able to start teaching my son how to drive this little bugger.
DS79

I built A 80 300 Special to be my daughter's training sled too:

Is there much of a difference between the gas and hydraulic?

Our 300 has a factory gas rear shock on it. If you're having a bottoming out issue you'll want the extra tension of the gas to help hold the rear up.

Back