More top end for 03 700 MM

SRXPete

I use a 03 700MM 2"/141" for work. The machine has always been slow at top end. The most I get is around 130-135kms/hr. It came from the dealer with flatlander specs (clutching/gearing) because there are no mountains in northern Ontario. A friend of mine has a 97 MM7 stretched to a 144"/2" and goes 93mph on gps without any mods (other than changing the track angle). Friends with RMK's (600's, 700's) are way faster with 144/2" and have great bottom end.

I am running reed spacers, dropped needles, dropped pilots, machined helix, drilled can, and risers for mental hp. What can I do to make this thing go faster without losing too much bottom end for trail breaking and screaming through slush (when I need to). I am tired of everyone waiting for me down the lake. Another friend of mine has an 02 MM and same thing....
It is frustrating to ride with Poo's, doo's and cat's. I don't want pipes or anything like that. Also, I can't figure out why that stock 97MM is so fast.

Last edited:

Stock gearing is 21/40 with 8 tooth drivers...way too low for flat land riding. Gear it up to at least 23/40 & clutch sled to run at 8500-8600 at wot. Check alignment & clutch centre to centre. Your 700 mm has less hp then a 600 poo RMK & with your mods you might be close.

How do you like the 141 on the trail? I'm running a 136 right now..but I still have a brand new 141 sitting in the shop....I do 99% trail riding.

I've got a 2000 MM, 23/40 gearing, 141x2", 8500 wot. Best I've seen on the GPS is 68. Once on 6" new and once on ice with 2" corn on top, neither were ideal conditions. I thought it had 21/40 so went to change and found 23/40 (used sled). Short of switching to 1.25 track 9-tooth drivers and possibly regearing again, thinking this is about what it'll do. Gets there real quick, but thats it. I'm finding that a crossover sled like a Rage will probably be a better sled for me.

DoktorC, 141 does very well on the trails, with the narrow 38.6 frontend of a MM, may be less nimble with 42" stance. Biggest issue is low snow with 2" paddle, need scratchers when the trails get really hard.

My MM has 23/40 (sea level setup) already when I picked it up at the dealer (clutching/gearing). It also has reverse (if that makes any difference).

Turk, what if I went to 24 or 25/40?? Will that do anything?? Centre to centre and alignment are all good. Like WrdAl says, the machine gets there real quick, but that's about it. It's running at 8500 wot.

I wouldn't mind more speed when I need to chase ice-fisherman.

The 141/2" is great in the bush, lakes, trail, whatever. I have about 8000kms on the same set of sliders. It puts up a huge roost on the groomed trail...blinding all oncomers and followers.

Last edited:
My friends 2001 MM is slow also.There are several reasons for it; it has that gearing turk mentioned, those drivers, that 141 yokohama is according to snowtech 6 pounds heavier than a 141 by 2 camoplast (And that is rotating mass= hp robbing). A 1,5 camo is even lighter.. Another thing is that even with the heavier rivets in the stock weighsts, the sheaves are gripping the belt with silk glowes... Look at the differences between the sxr and the mm weights,rollers, drivers,gearing etc and you'll get it...

I mean a longtracked sxr.. Some of the 136s are running upwards of 180km/h on the speedo.

yeah..my 136 ran 111 on radar (on glare ice with no studs) I figure it picked up acouple of mph with studs.

Interresting :)
An sxr or sx?
single or triple pipes? (single i suppose?)
How tall were the lugs?
Gearing?
Rollers?
Weights?
Springs?
Jetting?
How does it go in the powder?

Not single lol...now I'm embarassed lol

SXR with Sno-X ohlins and it is very tall - lots of drag
The track is an old .75 venture track

It has "special" Bender clutching in it
jetting...well..I'm just starting to get that right..147,148,148 - really rich
Stock gearing
goes awesome in the powder (especially with such a low track) but in regular snow (10-12") guys with real 1" tracks leave me. It will not hook.

Last edited:
Where did you get that big wheel? Looks like its taken straight from the factory crosser. Now whats that "special" bender kit ;)

Funny...the wheel looks like the factory crosser...so does the front suspension...and the stud marks in the hood ;).

the bender kit I got from my brother for Christmas..he even installed it while I was working on something else. I didn't even look at it lol. It uses the stock 8ch weights...that's all I can remember. It works incredably well..revs perfect, good back shift and wicked mid and topend. I think I do suffer alittle on the bottom from the weight profile but..I don't drag race.

Dok, that sled looks awesome. Are those really the factory race wheels on the rear? How do you like the Ohlins up front? Do you have ohlins in the rear as well? Seeing the prices on the '06's, i might be 136ing the '01 SX7R and putting some ohlins on her. I like the sled a lot, so why not right?

Those are really factory race wheels..came on the factory mono shock rear suspension...which didn't really work on the trail.

I do like the ohlins up front but I think they are valved to heavy for the trail..I think I'll have them rebuild this summer..something alittle softer would be nice.

136 is awesome!! I'm still dialing in the ride..but I love the length.

Back