Hyfax

WinterToy

Is it normal for the lower front part of the hyfax to wear before the rest of the slide does? I was looking at mine tonight and it looks like it is worn there and in a couple other spots. Or is it supose to wear 100 % even through out the length of the slide? The track does not seem super tight? I guess I should replace them to be safe?

this is very normal to wear about 1/2 thru and then it will stop...very common on Yamaha Sleds....drill a hole in the slide so you can keep an eye on them.

The wavy pattern comes from the wheels taking up the weight in some areas, and the slides wearing a little extra inbetween them. If you're track isn't too tight, you 'should' be able to get thousands of miles out of them. I've ridden though alot of junk, and have almost 3000 miles on my current set.

hyfax

Thats a pretty common wear pattern for most brands of sled, actually.
That area of the hyfax gets the least amount of snow on it, the snow has a tendency to collect towards the back.
One trick that I learned a few years back is every once in a while just kind of stop and take your hand and scoop some snow up and put it towards the front. It may not seem like it makes a big diff, but Ive never had a problem with excessive hyfax wear on ANY of my sleds. Also, if you notice spots along the trail where the snow is deeper towards the edge, just kinda ease over a ride through those spots.
Another trick that works well is marginal snow conditions is on the straight sections just kind of try to whip the sleds back and forth to kick up some snow. This is also helpful if you ride a liquid-cooled sled because it helps the track to pick up more snow so that you throws more snow at the heat exchangers.
You also may want to check your track tension. If it is too tight it will result in more hyfax wear (especially on the front half of the hyfax as you stated). Just be sure that you dont set it too loose, as it will result it the track ratcheting upon acceleration.
Cap'n
"What are you talking about Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan."

Thanks guys I understand more now. I feel that mine should be changed and I am going to do it myself since I am fairly good mechanical. Should I just remove them the old fashion way? I have seen some tools advertised for assistance in the removal of the slides. The tools look like a simple slide hammer gadget rigged up to pull them out. Also should i follow Yamahas spec on trac tensionin the manual or do something else?

Thanks again

I've had the best luck setting track tension 1 round tighter than ratcheting during high speed braking. Most sleds stop better than they go, and when braking, the track balloons toward the front cooler, and away from the drivers. The down side of this is that ratcheting with studs usuallly causes severe damage!

So...depending on your sled/track/mods you should start on the tight side and work backward a wee bit. On the sleds I've tuned on, I usually shoot for about .5" of hanging slackwhen you jack it off the floor.

So what are you riding anyway?

I just purchased my first sled off an older gentleman that is having health problems. It is a 2001 Venture 600. I love it so far it is really fun. I just need more snow. I will be going to New york or Michigan as soon as they get some heavy stuff to play in. I allways wanted a sled and I found this one buy luck. Its in great shape otherwise I probably would have purchased new. Thanks for all your help. I will follow your instuctions on track adjustment when I put my new slides on.

hyfax removal

The way the service manual will tell you is to just take out the rear suspension. Thats probably the simplest way, but me personally Ive always found it a pain trying to get the rear suspension to line back up with the bolt holes when you go to put it back in.
On Polaris sleds you can simply remove the screw that holds the hyfax to the slide rain and slide it out through the holes in the track. Ive never tried that on a Yamaha, however, so Im not sure if it would work the same.
Sounds like you chanced upon a real nice sled with your Venture. I myself considered getting a Venture but for me I dont think its the right sled.
Im what you might call an "aggressive" rider. I try to ride as fast as the conditions will allow, if I come up on a long straight stretch of trail I pin the throttle and hold on for dear life. For me, a Venture really isnt the best sled.
However, if you want something that has a nice ride, a Venture is perfect.
Anyways, I hope you are happy with your sled and that you get some more snow so that you can ride it.
We dont have much snow here in Wisconsin either. Even up in Minocqua where I ride there isnt much snow. It is still early however, and Id be willing to bet that it wont stay 40 degrees for the rest of the winter.

Back