87 Phazer Carb Question

gbarron

This is a two part question:

1. Does anyone know what the rubber cap/plug does inside the carb fuel bowls? It is used to plug off some of the ports, but for what reason?

2. How many should be in a carb from an 87 Phazer? I have seen conflicting parts pictures showing one in each carb, or two in each carb.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Glenn

P.S. If anyone has a jetting chart for this model I would also appreciate a copy!

There is two plugs per carb one goes in the center the other one covers the pilot jet you will know if they are in wrong it will flood like crazy

Like Blue Devil said make sure you put one over the pilot jet. I made this mistake once many years ago, thought no way they would put a plug over the pilot jet how would it get any gas and had also seen two conflicting pictures of the plug arrangement. And it was really rich and flooding at low rpm's. So took it apart again and saw the tiny hole on the side of the tube the pilot jet is in and that was how it got gas. And if I remember right the center tube is for the choke and also has a hole on the side of the tube.

Not really sure why it is done this way, kind of strange.

For jetting and clutching charts go to my website listed below and go to the Phazer manual page.

http://www.zenitram-inc.com/kgmz.htm

It's done that way so that it draws fuel from the center of the float bowl, where the fuel height is most consistent.

Carb Caps

Well it goes like this with carb caps. I bought a phazer for a good deal lets say. It was dragged out of a snowbank by the farmer I bought it from. It had sat for 5 yrs. Long story short, it was seized and all of the things that go wrong from sitting were wrong. Sigh. So I did all I could and fired her up. bingo, it started however when i squeezed the throttle, boggggggg, quit. I diagnosed and called people and looked on forums until i got a clue. The black caps on the bottoms of the carbs covering the pilot jet hole and the one next to it need to be there. YES THEY DO. I don't know the jargon, but when I replaced 3 of them(old ones either rotted off into nothing or weren't there but weren't there.) when I started her up, it was the same boggggggg. Let it idle for a couple mins and nothing. Was about to kick it and cry and tried one last time to fire her up. Zinggggggggg, went like it should and haven't looked back since. CARB CAPS are essential. I took the engine out 3 times diagnosing electrical and all it was was those carb caps. SIGH ;)!

Back