Headlight from a 01´ MM700 on a 99´ MM700?

Kris MM700

Website
www.pbase.com
I was looking at changing my headlight from the single bulb version on my 1999 MountainMax 700 to the updated dual bulb version found on the 2001 MountainMax 700. Has anybody tried this before? Besides from the headlight and probably the cover that sits in between the hood and the windshield, do I have to replace anything else? I'm a bit concerned, that if I change the headlight, that the generator won't be able to keep up and deliver the power needed for a dual bulb setup.

Kris The Eskimo :yam:

you need to get the cases machined to accept the higher output stator, and i believe the cdi is different as well.

To go to the higher output system you would need a complete wiring harness, stator, flywheel, and cdi. OR....you could just put the dual headlight on and run two lower wattage bulbs. I use to run a 100w bulb in my old sleds and that worked well, the headlights would only dim at idle if you hit the brake. SO, maybe you could try two 35 or 45 watt bulbs. ===SRXSRULE===

Alright, so no actual damage will happen to the system, if I put the dual bulb headlight on? I will just not have full effect on the headlight, untill I replace the stator and flywheel. This is probably a stupid question, but what is the function of the cdi? I've never quite understood it. But I will definitely try it out with some standard 55/60 bulbs, if I buy the dual bulb headlight. Do you know where I might get the stator and flywheel cheap? 'Cause I've checked out the prices for a set of new ones on yamahapart.com and they are quite expensive, not to even mention the headlight and cover.

Last edited:
Kris.....I clearly said 35-45 watt bulbs for a reason. You CAN Overload the system, burn out the volatage regulator AND...burn out the stator. I would NOT go over 100 watts total on the headlight or your in danger of some high dollar parts coming your way. ===SRXSRULE===

yea he is right about overloading the system. I had a 100watt bulb in my '97 sx and the headlights would dim everytime i hit the brakes, even with the handwarmers off. It was just too much for the system. With the warmers cranked, and idling, the lights were barely even on. Seems mine was weaker than other similar ones, because i know of a couple guys who put in a 100 watt and they didn't mention the dimming when hitting the brakes once its revved up, but mine sure did.

Back