91 Exciter, giving me problems, what could it be?

JonMN

Hi all, so here's the problem. I'm not sure if its clutching or carburationm but the carbs are clean. I put on about 150 miles this past wkend but my bottem end just wasnt there. The sled would puter up till about half throttle then would take off. I was running a Dayco Ultimax 2 belt on it but when I put the Yamaha belt on it, it ran quite a bit better, but the puter was still there, just not as bad. Could this be clutch alignment? What is the bet way to check it? My setup is comet 108 clutch, polaris 10m weights, and the stock secondary set at B2. Should i go with maybe a tighter setting? Should I remove a couple shims behind the scondary? If its carburation, should i bump down the pilots or bump them up? Drop needles?? Plug checks have been right on. I guess I'm getting pretty frusturated here. I have never got the clutching totally on on this sled. I have always wanted to see what this sled really cn do.

Another question I had was about the carbs. I pulled the slides out and noticed that when I push the throttle in, the right side slide (I believe it was the right side) went up higher (about a 1/4 of an inch) at all areas all the way up to the peek of full throttle. Is this right? Arent they supposed to be even when going up and down in the carbs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Jon

Exciters are known to have carn problems.....warn seats, pilots....sounds like carberation....if you get the engagement up...does it clean out??

MrSled, yes once i get the engagement up it does clean up a bit, but when its up on a stand, it runs totally fine. thats why i think it may be a clutching problem? you think i should put new pilots in it? new seats? What would dropping the needles do?

sled, thats the thing, with the clutches, i dont know where to start. i dont know much about how to line them up right. is there a way to look at it? and with the B2 setting, should i change that to a stiffer one? Thanks

Try tossing a couple engagement washers under the primary spring and let her rev up more, try a new belt.....clean the carbs. Take 2 drill bits of the same size and make sure the carb slides are sink......few things to start with.

the weights i have in there right now are polaris 10m's with the engagement notch, so it already engages around 4300 or so. you think my throttle cable could be wore out making the slides not synced?

JonMN,

Not sure but we had a similar problem with an Exciter. The slides must be lifting exactly the same. Use the drill bit as shown in the tech section. Check the seats. They will look good and still dump fuel. We changed them and believe it the problem was still there. The real problem we had was the chokes were different. Yes the type of choke inserts were different when replaced by who knows and the thing screamed after that. Insure the carbs are correct and use a 1/4" square steel bar aprox. 20" long. Lay the bar against the inside of the primary clutch and check the off set to the secondary. It should be 10 - 12 mm max. Then insure the clutches are aligned true to each other. You are on the right track just look at what you are doing and it will make sence. You also have the best in Mr Sled on your side. He knows the Exciter inside and out. Good luck and dont hesitate to ask if you get stumped. Thats why we are here.

is there anyway to tell if those inserts are right? do i need to buy everything or just the choke shaft that costs like 7 bucks. arethey hard to install? i'm not a real good carb kuru, but i can hold my own by taking the apart and putting them back together. i apreciate all the help guys!

Back