96 Vmax 600 XT Clutch repair

dnale

VIP Member
I have a 96 VMax 600 xt. It's fairly stock except for a thinner head gasket. When I bought it two years ago it had supposedly had the clutch rebuilt the year before. Over Christmas I was cleaning the engine compartment and noticed one of the clutch rollers was loose. It looked like the wearing surface on the inside of the roller was worn out. No big deal, I bought 3 new rollers. When I went to install the new rollers I looked at the weights and they have a groove worn in them. (From where full throttle is?) I thought I'd better take a look at them too. I saw the dealers schematic of the clutch and it showed a not-flat washer on both sides of the roller and both sides of the weight. This sled has flat washers that look like graphite or someother type of plastic. I have the parts at home, but not the clutch (no puller on hand.)

Suggestions on what to do?

Doug

change all the worn out parts, weights included, but also check that center bushing, they had problems with the material on them back then and they wear fast...go to the updated bushings.

Supposedly that center bushing had been changed in the rebuild 3 years ago.

Should I worry about the washers being different?

Is there anything I need to know about the weights when I got to buy them?

Any suggestions on where to buy?

Call North Country Yamaha or Port Washington to get the parts.....the weights will depend if it has a clutch kit or stock oem. Either dealer will ber able to tell you what weights and rivets came with that sled. Make sure to get the washers from the dealer as well.....you really want the overall weight of the clutch right....to no toss it out of balance.

Back