Have to brag!

Sx700

I was in wisconsin this weekend (sledding of course), and at a gas station some polaris guys were talking trash about yamaha's (rice rockets, jap crap, etc) well anyways I wasn't gonna stand there and not say anything, so I started telling them what Polaris really meant (Poor Old Losers Ain't Riding In Style - Pulled Off Lake And Repaired In Summer - Pissed Off Lately After Racing In Snowcross) so anyways the one guy had a 03' Pro X 700 and challenged me to a drag.. And of course I accepted, Long story short I was at least 4 sled lengths ahead of him! 115 on the speedo. Just had to brag a little!

1997 Sx 700

USI skis
GYT Pipes
Comet clutch
V force reeds
K&N Filters
Newely Installed Fox Shocks, and 1 inch paddle track

Dont forget this one!

How about "People Of Limited Ability Ride Indy Sh*t"?
You know, Im sorry to anyone who owns a Polaris, but there sleds nowdays suck! I was reading in the ATV forum about people complaining about vapor lock and CV joint problems saying how Yamaha needs to stop building crap and stop letting the customer do their R & D for them.
I say, go buy a Polaris and them tell me how much of a POS your Grizzly is.
Over the x-mas holiday I was riding in northern WI and both my parents recently bought 2 '02 Polaris 600 XCs. These sleds have the M-10 rear suspension. Well, on the first couple days the snow conditions were pretty good however it was around 25-30 degees. I was riding behind them and all you could see coming out from under the tunnel was a constant cloud of steam. Whenever we would stop for a road crossing those sleds would just be billowing steam. The one my mother rides got so hot that it starting pushing coolant out of the coolant tank. In fact, it got so hot that it stalled at a stop sign. I stopped and opened the hood and the whole bottom of the bulkhead under the engine had probably 1" of coolant in it. It was also putting steam out of the airbox.
There was a time not too long ago, that Polaris made a really nice sled (I would say the last good sled they made was around 1995). However, nowdays I just dont know. Seems like they are more concerned about making ATVs and making the Victory than they are about sleds.
However, if we keep on getting low-snow/warm winters here in the midwest (which is the bulk of Polaris' sled market) Im not too sure they will have to worry about building too many sleds anymore.
Glad to see you smoked that Polaris, though!

Just to clarify, Most CV axles for these vehicles are made by the same companies and contain the SAME internal components. Usually the problem would be caused by driveline angles or lack of protection. OE's give them specs and they build them to suit, could be the yami's have more torque to the wheels (don't know for sure) and that could cause a problem, You only can make parts so big for these things. A little off subject, but for some reason some people think the OE's make everything. yah right.

you gotta love that!!!!! what was his reaction or did you see a look on his face...
Did he talk to you after tha race.

I am waiting to do the same with an indy 650 with a polished, ported and tuned sled.....he claims only 115HP....I hope I can beat that :lol: :wink:
with my slightly modified SX700R.

Well my buddies and his buddies were waiting at the other end of the lake, where we finished. My guys were on the ground laughing their asses off, his guys were just shaking their heads.. I stopped and looked at the guy, he didn'nt even look at me waved his buddies to go, and that was it. I think I made my point don't you? LOL

Last year I attended amateur drags, 4-lane, christmas tree, and full timing setup.

Final round in the 800 Multi-pipe class I went against, a 02 Edge 800, a 03 Pro X 800, and a Cat. There were apparently a few laughs about the tall guy on the old sled (92 Vmax4).

The laughs ended when I crossed the finish line first!!!

Just back in the sport after a long time away... Im sensing some hostilities against other makes here. Hope i dont have to defend my sled at every fillup. Whats the beef with Yamahas anyways?

Guyman, don't worry about it. Start no shit, get no shit.

Other brand owners, especially younger guys, look at Yamaha's as being slow and out of date, no matter what year it is. What they don't realize is that while they have to either rebuild their sled every year or buy a new one, Yamaha's can go for seasons with little more that basic maintainence for hte most part.

Yamaha's triple engines are renouned for living long and running consistantly. Add all the little things you can do to them to pep them up, and you've got a great sled for the long haul.

If you can't beat them in a drag, race them to the furthest gas station ;)

Younger people ride yami's to, I usually ride with 10 other guys and we are all under 25 and all ride yamaha's except for 1 of us, the other guy has a ski don't and he's the one always being towed in. I've been riding since I was 16 and have always rode Yamaha.

I do really feel as though i lucked out finding my sx700. I have fond memories of my 80 exciter. I imagine that all the brands have something to offer otherwise they woouldnt be in bussiness. I always wanted to have an artic cat (luv that green) but my sensible side said blue i guess.
From what i can tell with my sled, somebodies going to have to be crazy to try to pass me when im on it. I didnt realize just how much faster they have gotten. You know, you hear that the top speed of most of the ordinary sleds is around 90 to 100. Well twenty years ago that wasnt too far from what we were doing then. Seems the holeshot and acceleration has improved drastically though lol.

Back