Stock vs Simmon's vs 05 mountain ski's

Mtnviper

VIP Member
I finally got to try out my 05 mountain ski's on the RX/RS forum ride in McCall.
Both the Simmons and 05 Yamaha mountain ski's are far superior to the stock 02 Viper ski in everyway.
For deep snow, the 05 mountain has more floation then the Simmon's. The 05 ski seemed to handle a little better also, although the Simmons are pretty good too.
Side-hilling, the 05 mountain ski REALLY holds a side hill well! Better than any other ski I've tried. Front end stays up instead of wanting to dive down hill.
Trails, 05 mountain ski is very aggressive on the trail, ( I have 6" carbides on mine), they carve real nice. On smooth trails they dart more then the Simmon's, but no worse then the stock ski. If the trail is rough, there is very little darting, about the same as Simmon's.
On very rough trail's the 05 ski does transmit slightly more bump shock through the handle bars, (about the same as the stock ski) then the Simmons. Most likely because the Simmons flex more.
Off trail use, I feel the 05 Yamaha mountain ski is the better choice. Especially for side-hill use.
Trail riding, slight edge goes to Simmons, mainly for the smoother ride and darting control.
Bottom line, I'll leave the Yamaha mountain ski's on. Since I only ride the trails long enough to get to the good snow! As for the stocker's, they're collecting dust in the attic!

Can you tell me some details about what all parts you had to buy and how much it cost to convert to the newer skis?

What sled do you have? on vipers -03 you need some longer bolts and some spacers they sell them in kits on portyamaha where i bought mine.
carbides and skihooks fit, you will only need the bottoms, bolts spacers.
here's prices on mountain skies http://www.portyamaha.com/eshopprod...uct_129225.Saddleless_Mountain_Ski_Bottom.htm
ps the color on the red skis are not what they look on the pic i bought red and they match perfect to my viper handles ;)!

Last edited:
I have an 00MM700 so I need all the hardware since I don't have any of the saddless stuff. Any idea what all the hardware I would need?

Call kevin at port yamaha. there is a kit out now and he will set you up with everything you need. ===SRXSRULE===

Het MtnViper, thanks for the report......

How wide are the 05 mountain skis?... are they the same skis or width as are on the 06 VK 4 stroke?

I need more floatation in deep stuff.... I have tried Ski-Doo's concave precision skis as a cheap alternative to Simmons and they too don't have nearly enough floatation.. Still better than the stockers although..

tj.

While I haven't tried all of the skis currently made, the Yamaha Mtn skis offer the best floatation of the many that I have tried.

The only significant downside I have found yet, is in crusty snow they will catch quite a bit more that other skis.

i have them one my 03 viper, a big improvement.Make sure to order,get the longer bolts and spacers, everything else you can still use.

Oh i forgot I'm sure if its on this web site or not but you might need to shim the back part of the ski by the spindle.I was wearing my carbides a lot on the front and after the shim it is perfect.

I've heard that when you retro fit the mountain skis that it will lower your ride height by about one inch due to the spindles being shorter. Anybody notice this?

the ride height on the trail will be the same due to the deeper keel. but in the powder it will be 1" lower

Back