4 gallon fuel can?

norwegian

Where can I find a 4 gallon fuel can? The reason that I can't use the 5 gallon fuel can is because the MM (2001) rack says 15 kg (33 lbs) only

Just a note but in my opion you would only want to carry at the most 3 gallons 5 gallons of gas weighs alot ....

Depends on the type of riding that you are going to be doing, but for a excursion type trip where you simply need the extra gas to make the distance, 5 gallons of gas is not a problem. You can even go higher with a little rigging. If you are hillclimbing or heavy boondocking, I would not even go with 4 gallons. I remember a couple years ago someone on www.Snowest.com had rigged up a 5 gallon setup on a MM for deep backcountry excursions. You might want to post there.

Be sure to adjust the suspension for the added weight.

Polaris sells a very trick 2.5 gallon can that comes with straps and snaps for like $25, they are made for the RMK 900 but I found that they work awesome on my viper. The gas can is not your typical gas can since it is short and squatty compared to all the other general 2.5 cans that are now tall and skinny. To strap the can to my sled I drilled some holes in my tunnel extension and installed U-bolts to thread the straps through. I bought U-bolts from Lowes that came in a package with nuts and backing plate, since I needed nuts and backing plate for above and below the tunnel (sequence goes nuts, backing plate, tunnel, backing plate, nuts) I bought 4 packs, I then bought a snowboard stomp pad with an adhesive back to act as a slip resistant pad for the can to rest on, the can does not budge and with the backing plates my tunnel looks perfect even after hitting large jumps/cornices and bumpy trails at high speed. Very impressed with the set up and having the extra 2.5 gallons is a life saver.

Attachments

• DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00266ty.jpg
    DSC00266ty.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC002581.JPG
    DSC002581.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 77
that gas can is sweet ....but those pics ...OH MY GOD !!!!!!that looks like some sweet riding .... your a lucky man ...

Yes we are all drooling . . .

Of course then we realize that we would be doing nothing except digging out if us flatlanders ever tried going out there.

Ok maybe not always, but it does help ease the pain of not being able to go.

Not bad for less than 15 miles from the house ;)!

Dont worry, 121's do fine, look at the first pic.

Here are a couple more from this season, Hatchers Pass AK.

Attachments

• 05 036ty.jpg
    05 036ty.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 82
  • me and mt mckinley.jpg
    me and mt mckinley.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00254ty.jpg
    DSC00254ty.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00275ty.jpg
    DSC00275ty.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC002741ty.jpg
    DSC002741ty.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 38
norwegian said:
Where can I find a 4 gallon fuel can? The reason that I can't use the 5 gallon fuel can is because the MM (2001) rack says 15 kg (33 lbs) only

5 gallons of gas will hardly exceed the 33 lb weight limit.

i would say 5 gallons of gas with the can is around 42 pounds depending on the weight of the can

Back