'97 600 Mountain Max as third sled

Fasterblaster

I just got into this a year ago and want to upgrade one notch from my Phazer; although I think I'll keep it as a second/guest sled. I was thinking of a newer Phazer with a 136 or '92-'94 Exciter with a 136. But I came across a '97 600 MM with 6,000 kms on it for $2500! I am really turned on because I didn't think I could get to that level for my price range. Now I have read a few postings on TY that are causing me to re-consider....Smartcarbs problems, lean mid-range (did Exciters have this problem?)...no low end...I am pretty good with monkeying around with the Phazer and Bravo but under the hood of the MM is pretty intimidating. I welcome all opinions. The sooner the better. Thanks

:) I have a '98...... Besides a few minor upgrades from a 97, (cosmetic and under the hood), they're basically the same. Mine has always run excellent. I have also read that a few people have had problems with the stupid carbs. I guess mine must have graduated. I ride from 2000-6000', -25C to +15C, and it runs good all the time.
Check to see if any upgrades have been done to the engine. I'm pretty sure pistons were different in 98. There are a few inexpensive changes you can add to wake it up. I don't recall any other issues to worry about. They have desent power (90-95hp), good all around sled. I'm happy I bought it way back in 98. The only problem I have encountered, (which could be true for all yamaha riders), is waiting for my buddies while they adjust and work on their machines instead of riding. No bashing intended, but I also own a Polaris, and I work on it a lot more than my yami.

Back