TY 2006 Grand Marais 500 Miler

SledderSteve

VIP Member
Website for the 2005 event is: http://www.sno-trails.net/GM500Miler.htm

While the dates are not posted yet, best guess based on past dates would be January 12th through the 14th. Golly, I guessed right

I'm not sure what everyone has in mind regarding the actual ride but I think we all know the challenges of getting and keeping a group moving increases with the size of the group. In talking with others last year, they were breaking up their groups into flights of four or six at the most.

Something to think about as we plan.
:yam:

Last edited:

count me in. hey tom, how about the hookup on an attak? we can all represent yamaha with each model they make! ;):D

That GM500 looks interesting, I have never participated in a formal group run like, any more info? Why would't people finish, too far, breakdowns, etc?

I don't know exactly why poeple don't finish, but this year during the 500 miler it was very cold ... 30 - 40 below!

Maybe I am a little bit of a sissy ... I am use to off trail riding, moving around more and keeping warm. 30 -40 below on trails is too damn cold for me to ride 500 miles, all day and part of the night!

MrSled said:
Hook Up?? You meen how well does it..... the Attak hooks up better then the Apex and has a realy nice sure footed feel.
i meant a demo for me to ride courtesy of yamaha! :yam: we can do advertising for them! ;)! show off all the new sleds to the public. all we have to do is find someone to stick on the viking for that ride. maybe captain toyota. ;):D

LOL....not at that time....you can ride double with me...LMAO, that the closest I can get you to a demo at that time of the year....

kinger said:
Why would't people finish, too far, breakdowns, etc?
The answer is yes.

Folks don't get out far enough, get cold, tired, whatever and just quit. My partner and I boogied out 250 miles due West last year so we wouldn't even be tempted to wuss out. Yours truly got lost in a whiteout on the way back and added 30 miles to the adventure.

Others break down or wreck, it sounds easy but can be a bit of a challenge. We hit our halfway point in six hours then took over twice that time to get back. The temps dropped way down, the trails were pounded and it took longer and longer to leave the comfort of the woodstoves at the checkpoints.

I'm thinking that it'll take me until about July or August before I forget the pain enough to start telling people the whole thing was a piece of cake. :wink:

I'm in! Steve, thats what we did as well when we did it back in 1998, went west. We went up to Big Bay and over to Lanse and back. We finished in 14 hours but took 18 hours to complete. We had a sled melt down @ the 350 mile mark and it took 4 hours to get that all worked out, all in all it was fun. I will be bringing 3 others so we'll have 2-02 Vipers a 04 RX Warrior and a 05 RX-1.

So, this 500 miler, looks like it goes on for three days - question is do you ride 500 miles per day or do you just pick your day and go. I can't find any description on the internet - me, my son and one of his friends could probably knock out 500 miles in a 24 hour period - if their cat's don't break down that is.

You pick your own time and route during that three day period.

They give you a ticket with your rider number, record your odometer reading and the time you left. You then have 24 hours to visit six different checkpoints to get your ticket stamped and accumulate 500 or more miles on your odometer.

The route is up to you, I've heard tales of guys who collect the checkpoints then ride around in circles on the lake. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me but to each his own.

im in, but looking for someone to trailer with from s.e. wisconsin if possible. i dont think my usual riding buddies would do it (wussies, i know!) i also dont think i can get the girlfriend to do the run, i havent even bought another sled for her to ride yet!

It's not actually a race to see who can do the 500 miles the quickest right? Do they make any mention to who has done it the quickest? I'm down not matter what!

Good point, they have a minimum time, I forget what it is now, as well as the 24 hour maximum time to keep people from racing on the trails and using the event as an excuse.

I think Gilbey from the 4-stroke forum was telling me that he had to wait to turn in his ticket the last time he did it because they ran too fast.

When I did it last year, the GPS said we were actually riding for about 12 1/2 hours and spent about 6 hours at pit stops to get 530 miles. Surprisingly, the GPS and odometers of both my Rage and my partner's GSX Rev were all within a few miles of each other.

This year I'm seriously thinking of a heated suit http://www.gerbing.com/pages/motorcycle.html because I think that Apex GT is going to be cold even if Todd buys an Attak and trades me his windshield. :wink:

Back