belt and clutch alignment issues

alaskanbowtie

My sled is eating belt big time . 3 belts in 500 miles , an Ultimax 2 an Ultimax 3 and a yamaha belt , The Ultimax belts lasted about 25 miles each and grenaded , the Yamaha belt lasted the longest , had to keep going back to it after they would blow . Ultimax belts hook up great . My clutches are obviously out of speck and I will replace the primary this summer and want to do the alignment then . I noticed if I grab the primary with both hands and pull up and down I can move the engine about 3/4" either way , the rubber flexs that much . Everything is tight and nothing I can see , after a good inspection , is broken . Do the rubber mounts wear out or is this normal movement ? I will adjust my clutches to spec as per spec page here on the forum . Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this , loosen all mounts , (the bolt you can see in front of the motor if you look down ) or is it the one on the side of the mount between the motor and the frame ? Should I make a limiter for it like is sold at MPI , is it necesary , it's only stock with few simple things . I know this is alot at once , just things going through my head . THX

First things first...find out why the engine is moving excessively. Any amount of movement changes both your center to center distance and the parallelism between the two clutches. Have a friend move the engine as you are saying you can and get in there with a light so you can inspect things. Something is either broken, loose, or worn out.
Once that is corrected, you can move on to alignment.

Something has to be broken or really loose for the engine to move like you say it is. I don't think there is any mystery about what is happening to your belts. I agree with Chance. Cure the movement and then deal with the aligment.

Back