what to buy??? 01 SRX or Viper

slowpo

hey guys, i am lookin for a new sled and i wont buy anything but yamaha, i currently have a 1995 indy 500, and have been looking for a SRX or a Viper, stock might ii add, and will prolly 1.25 track it and stinger maybe and clutch kit, nothing more...

I have found a 01 SRX brand new for a good price, and also a used 02 Viper for a really good price...

I guess i should define my riding style, i am from Saskatchewan Canada, soo our trails are all flat and pretty much straight, rise alot of stubble feilds, snow depth is usually hardpack or 1 foot powder and if riding ditch maybe 2-4 feet, mostly ride trail though, my buddies have 04 F7 snopro, 04 Viper S, 04 XC SP 700. we all take approaches at good speed catch some air, hit ditch ridges once and a while, and drag race too. we ride about 50 mph average, hardly every hold it WOT for long stretches...

trails are a little rough in places due to lack of snow, i should also add that i take a beating from my Indy 5, but it has 7500miles.

I want something that i can ride all day and feel good afterwards, wind a race or 2 against my buddies and enjoy the ride without worrying about if i need to brace myself for a bump...

soooo, to make a long story short, how do the SRX and Viper compare??? power from holeshot to finish line, corner to corner. also ride quality from studder bumps to approaches???

what do guys recomend for me??? give me the good bad and the ugly on these things

thanks, future yammi owner:fire:

sleds

I own about 6 yamaha sleds and a 02 viper an an 01 srx are part of the arsenal. i've raced these sleds many times with my father riding one and me the other.

The 01 srx is all about power, comes with 145 hp stock. This sled is bone stock and runs excellent. In the races with the stock viper it took it everytime. I raced vipers with triples pipes added and that makes it closer but the srx still is on top. Powder riding is also capable with the srx, I sometimes do the deep snow hills everyonce in awhile. Some good mods for this that I have experimented on my 99 srx 600. An mbrp silencer and a hauck #4 clutch kit. Now for the down sides the only down side is it weighs a little more because of the triple pipes, and the suspension is stiffer because its a more racy sled, but it's way softer than your 95 indy. If you buy the 01 srx you will be able to beat all of the sled that you ride with. I have raced all of those and come on top.

The 02 viper has some power and is a little smoother. It comes with about 120hp stock. This sled is stock too. This sled is good on the trails and can do some ditch banging easier than the srx. This sled also corners better than the srx. This sled is a little smoother than the srx. Now for the bad, the 02 vipers shocks were sh** from the factory, it the one you are looking for doesn't have the upgraded shocks, it will have a worse ride than the srx. It also lacks the power of the srx.

Your choice depends which matters more, on the srx you will have more speed and power than your friends. On the viper is will corner a little better and ride a little better but the trade off is less speed and power. Thats if it has the shock upgrade. If you want speed and power take the srx. If you dont care about power just handling, take the viper. It is a hard choice though, thats why I bought both lol. Good luck

ok i went to look at the 02 Viper this morning, it has a MBRP silencer, Comet clutch kit, studded #9855. the sled has 1800 km, and i can get it for $5500 cdn. good deal???

SOLD!!! well boys u got urself a new Yammi owner, bought the Viper this morning.

Sask.

Hello...I also have a 2002 Viper. My wife has a 200 SRX. We both love our sleds. Where in Sask are you from. We are in Moose Jaw. Hope to see you on the trails some time.

Dave

harding.dj im up in Melfort, do you ever come up here to ride??? we only ride around here, we have some good snow now, hows it down there?

slowpo,.....your are going to like your Viper!.....I've got 1700 trouble free miles on my 02 so far & like the sled more & more every time I ride it!
Enjoy!
WIVIPERMAN

Shock upgrade...

i would strongly recommend Maxximum Performances shock revalve respring for the viper... i had it done on my 02 and wow what a difference... well worth the 350 bucks... maxxperf.com

No. I haven't ridden around melfort yet. After the blizzard we got, the snow is pretty good. Before that, I have to keep my sleds at my cousins place west of Belle Plain to be where there was snow. Too cold to do any riding right now(-50 with the wind). Went on a poker derby in drinkwater on the weekend. Talk to you later.

Dave

Slowpo, Good choice on the Yammer, I have a 9SRX700 and have Maxx Perf upgraded long travel rear shocks and it makes a big differance! I would of recommended the SRX due to better stock performance! You will be verry happy with the Viper compared to that Indy!!!!!!! You need to change your name from slowpo! Enjoy and welcome to the club !

Back