Bye Bye track!

Stewy

Anyone have any experience pitch forking your track with the skid rails? My 97 700MM 136" with Hartman's 141" extension kit moves the skid rails back about 3" leaving more room for the track to whip around the front drive axle. My last ride of the year ended with the track catching on the front tip of the rails, ripping it crossways and jetisonning it out the back end... all at full pin. Man, do you ever slide far without a track underneath you, and of course no brakes. The tail section suffered a bit of damage too but fixable.
Hartman suggested a set of wheels that bolt to the tips of the rails... I dont know, sounds kind of chintzy.
Has anyone ever tried fitting 141" rails on a Hartman 136" extension.
I dont want that to happen again and I definitely dont want to go back to 136". The extension kit with a 2 incher has made this a snow shoveling ANIMAL!

121,136,141,and 151 rails all have the same profile at the front so different rails wont change a thing. The reason that happens is normally due to a loose track, or the black plastic cap that rivits to the end of the rail is either damaged or missing. The wheels Hartman is taking about are not chinzty, they are known as "anti stab" wheels and is commonly found on improved stock or higher race sleds. Get your track tension right and suspension in good shape and you will be fine. ===SRXSRULE===

Last edited:
rails

The 121/136 rails have the same profile but the 141/151 rails are totally different and the "H" arm is located 7" further back then a "W" arm suspension. The 121/136 rails tip up a lot more making it harder to spear your track. Too loose or incorrect coupling problems?

I watched it happen to a 162" M7 cat with 3" pitch drivers. The dealer blamed it on the 3" drivers holding on to the track too long, causing it to wrap around the drivers and spear onto the rails. Apperently the track was adjusted properly. I am using a cat skid in a Yamaha tunnel with a 7" set back and 2.5" pitch extraverted drivers. I adjust the track tension to have no more than 1" of free sag space between the skid hyfax and the track with the tail suspended. With this tension, I get a little rattle from the clips touching the plastic nose pieces on the skid rails. If I tighten the track so the free sag is about .5', the rattle is reduced. I try to maintain as loose a track as possible, using the sound from the track clips as a way of judging how loose I can go. I have broken 3 axles in this sled. One was an early Yamaha axle that was famous for breaking but 2 were blamed on track over tension and a modified Yamaha skid frame. While the cat skid does have a torque sense link that allows for skid growth during compression, I still want as loose a track a possible to avoid the disaster that goes with a broken axle. Hope this helps you.

Thank YOU TY Members & Bye Bye Track

Well it happed to me this past weekend!!!

I did a search and found this old thread. What a great find!!!

I have a 98 MTNSRX with a Hartman 151" kit, Challenger track (now a "bumpy" runner for the garage), and Wahl Anti-Ratchet drivers.

Late last year I installed my own "Transfer Enhancement Kit" (copied from another TY thread), and what a difference! Tranfers like crazy! Went to Fernie, BC late last year with a few buddies with MTN Apex's & modded Mtn Max's. They were all shocked how well it worked. Even had a comment, "thats the best I've ever seen a MTN SRX run in the mountains".

Now this year..........

In January was running some trails up in northern Sask. Let my buddy (285lbs)jump on it and take it for a run. He drives about 1 mile and the drive shaft snaps. So I think, ah must have been a bad shaft.

Now this past weekend, going for the last ride of the season, playing in some meadows with a couple feet of "old heavy snow". I found a nice drift between an opening in the bush. Hit it once, walked it on its tail and felt like I was on my buddies "Turbo Nytro Mtn". (ok maybe a little bit exaggerated, it wasn't that good, & WOW thats a sled!!!!) Back to the story... once wasn't good enough, lets try that again. Obviously twice didn't do it justice either. The third time should be a charm. Ah yes.... hit the drift and the next thing I know I'm flying over the handle bars head over heels! Nothing but arms & legs!!! No injuries & my buddies missed it, so I have to laugh by myself!!

Just like the earlier post, pitch forked the tip of the rail, piled the track into the drivers, and stopped the MTNSRX instantly.

Like MODMMAX I have been trying to find the right tension. Obviously too tight & snap the shaft. Too loose & it is "Pitch Fork Time!"

Anyways, I would just like to share my story & thank every one who post, responds, advises, etc. The "free" info I have found here has been much appreciated.

Thank You All!!!! ;)!

By the way, please share if you have suggestions on the correct set up!!

I have run anti stab wheels on my last 2 sleds. they work. They also help the track roll smoother, thus freeing up HP. No more nasty click click click from the rail tips. Maxdlx

maxdlx said:
I have run anti stab wheels on my last 2 sleds. they work. They also help the track roll smoother, thus freeing up HP. No more nasty click click click from the rail tips. Maxdlx

I run them also, cheap insurance.

"Anti-Stab Wheels"

maxdlx said:

I do not see these on the Hartman website. Does anyone know if these are still available?

lol i remembers my first machine i had. it was an 99 enticer 2 and i busted the track on it. lol i must of went 300 feet before i come to a stop lol

I picked up a set from SLP and run them on my xtralite skid for extra insurance. Wahl Bros. racing also carries them but from posts on snowest I would expect everyone is in short supply this year. Get them ordered!

I watched Rich do it on his sled in the middle of a large water puddle. Best we could figure was that the track tension was too loose which allowed enough track to bunch up and go over the rail tips. Watched him cut off a perfectly good ripsaw, after helping haul it out of the water. It did make for an interesting trophy.

Back