MM clutching?

norwegian

Hi
I was thinking about maybe buying a 2001 MM 700 for the winter and I would need some clutching advice. The thing is, I tried my friends mm700 (2001) which has thinner headgasket and reedspacers and the clutching seemed to be a little "off". The problem was that it was rather undecisive when grabbing the belt when starting off line or stating slowly. For comparison, my fathers sd summit 550 has a very decisive engagement and you can "feel" how the primary grabs the belt and never lets it go. The MM however, felt very different in some powder, there you could get the "belt grabbing feel", but when on a hard surface such as a river or a trail, you could feel that the clutching was somewhat "soft".
I'd like something like that on the MM. How can it be done? Top end isn't that important, but I would expect to see at least 80 mph from this sled. I want it to be clutched for the low and mid range without overrevving at top. Help please?

Something in clutching like the summit that is. (Decisive in low speeds).

Another question is, what kind of weights to use? I see you can use thundershift or heavy hitters and then you don't have to pound rivets.. Which of these to use? I am leaning towards the thundershift kit due to the profile of the heavy hitters, looks more like a lakeracer thing with that fat bulky profile...

Last edited:
You won,t get 80 mph from an unpiped MM with the 141 X 2" track..been der dun dat.The 8cr weights work fine with a 51/43 helix. Load the inner hole with a 4.5 rivet & about .8 gram or 2.4 gram outer. The stock 8cr weights work fine with a different helix & loaded up.

Back