Cut holes in a mountain track?

ModMMax

Last spring I met a guy in Idaho who had drilled or cut 1" round holes in his track. There were a row of 6 holes cut between each row of paddles. I was told that the actual weight reduction was about 4 lbs., the rotating weight reduction was estmated at 15 lbs., with no sacrifice to floatation. Has anybody seen this done or know anything about it?

Lots of guys have done it. You only loose 1-3 lbs depending on the track length and number of holes. The real reason to do it is reduce rolling reistance and it also collects less snow in the skid. So far its all been good and ski-doo is offering it on the summit X for 06 ===SRXSRULE===

many guys on snowest.com have done it and have at least one season of riding on drilled tracks. Not a single report of any problems from what I have read. Ski-doo is doing it straight from the factory now. I am drilling my track this off season. Biggest gain is less rolling resistance from a more flexible track, less snow build up in rear skid is also a bonous.

Only negitive comment I've heard, is that there is more track stretch. Shouldn't be a huge deal if you are running anti-ratchet driver's.
Most guys use a hole saw with the teeth ground off. Then the edge is ground sharp, like a stud hole cutting drill.

Last edited:

Back