Leaving the YAMAHA Family

jferrar5

Sorry team, but I can't take it anymore.

After riding in Canada this weekend and having my sled not start every morning, without the use of a hair drier to de-frost the carbs, I've had enough. The other members of my group, Polaris & Ski-Doo, no issues starting even in -40F.

Outdated suspension and under powered, its now time to switch brands and see what I've been missing. I hate to leave but untill YAMAHA updates its rear skid, I have no other choice. :cry:

J, what problems did your sled have before you headed up there? Super cold temps just expound problems.

My own experience is that Yamaha's started with fewer pulls than all the other brands, save Cat's EFI. Skidoo's plastic recoils are suspect, and we saw the recoild screws backing out for no reason.

The Poodle twins seem to suck gas, half of what a Yamaha triple can get for mpg...

I'm not bashing, as every sled availbe now has good and bad points, just brace yourself to learn the bad stuff on a new sled the hard way.

Good luck!

Vmaxjohn

Prior to this trip my sled has started flawlessly in temps as low as -10f.
It's all stock with a aftermarket maxx perf. long travel kit which didn't help all that much. 97 600sx.

If comparing is what you are doing then are your buddies running 1997 sleds as well ? If not you need to compare them apples to apples. If you think there brand is that much better than your 7 year old sled compare the same year sled and see. Its your $$ so what ever. :shock: Seems a 7 year old sled compared to a 04 is off track. 8) check your mailbox often for recalls and like it !

I ride in Norhtern Ontario and this year has been ccccccold.
My SXR started everytime within 3 pulls.
Love the ride and love when I go by the XC without a problem.

Good Luck with your new purchase.

The sleds that I rode with were only one and two years newer, not four.

Look, I'm not bashing my Yamaha, I'm just upset with the things that matter most to me, starting and suspension.

I know the new ones are better, but I did run into a guy on a new Viper with a failed oil pump and a blown engine.

When picking a new sled I realize their may be flaws with the other brands, but bump absorbtion is not Yamaha's strong point.

jferrar

Everyone in here knows the truth about snowmobiles, but are fairly brand loyal so they run down all the rest. All manufacturers have come a long way, all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Ride what fits your style the best. There are TONS of 02/03 sleds around, new or very close to, so do some shopping before you buy, make sure you get the best deal you can.
Good luck with that. Keep the rubber side down.

I get a kick out of this

Ok - I am not sure of the original intent of this thread, but my response is not PLEASE STAY.

I think most honest Yamaha riders feel the same way on the days of monster moguls. (same boys I once smoked blind folded--well now I need to remive the fold) I agree that you can not compare a 97 to 04 in most cases, but folks the general geometry hasnt changed. (I realize the stoke is a bit longer--I run the long travel)

The fact is Yamaha is way past due, and the new suspension (2-6-04)will finally answer that prayer, and we will have the Yamaha fit finish & reliability with the best rear suspension...Just be sure to buy one this yearbecause you know Yamaha will run it for a long time, and youl get your moneys worth, and know every little detail about it.

As far as speed - well Yamaha Box stock are USUALLY not the fastest.
Again, Y wil run units a long time and that is value, but near the end some of the things (suspension) wil show age.

The gas mileage bragging is a joke imo. If you ride 2k a year your gas is going to be around 300 $. Plus or minus 50 bucks(a set of carbides)-- btw: my sled doesnt see 10mpg. The "average" rider rides about 1k or less

Yes I am going back and forth, because i consider myself open minded. I have owned Y since 78, and have enjoyed them and respect the way they go to market. BUT they need improvement, and how longyou want to wait is up to YOU, but I will give it a week and a half anyway.
The End

As far as yamaha suspension ... have any of you complaining tried out an 04 Viper? The rear on my viper S is great! I am not arguing with the fact that yamaha is over due on the rear skid, but give them some credit they finally got it right with the 04 viper!

one sentence

Or maybe more. My 97 700 sx starts in 3 to 4 pulls every time, ussually 2 if above 10, same as my buddies 01 zr 800 efi. He had moisture in his, and his acted the same way. So 0Degrees F $8599 zr pulled 100 times nuttin, $3000 sx pulled 3 times ran like a champ, and ideled the whole time we messed with the zr. If you don't prepare for cold temps a 150000000000 dollar sled won't start. Maxdlx

VIPER S

Yes you are right the S is "soft", but not ready for the mogul hashing the others are. Besides you cant rebuild the shocks (rear), and that is sad. The ohlins up front rule.

I thought long & hard about buying an 04 (deals viper s 6100), but i would have added a m-10 for sure, and then the price is back in the 8k neighborhood, and only 120hp.

I have my fingers crossed that the 05 gets me excited, and I will order one for sure.
750:4stroke with turbo & expert x type rear & 500lbish--sign me up... :lol:

Leaving

I've owned all makes at one time or another, most recent purchase was a 2002 Viper. I also still own two Doo's, fine machines but it simply takes too long to get parts for them ( 2 - 4 weeks or longer ) So I purchased the Yamaha as a backup sled. Just add fuel and oil and pull the cord and go. My next machine will be a Yamaha, winter is too short to wait around for parts.

switched from cat to yamaha in97

i know where you are coming from with yamahas rear skid but i switched brands in 1997 to yamaha. i had rode cats since 1970 belive me you want a bad ride there still useing wrap around springs. my first yamaha was a 97 sx700 i thought i died and went to heaven with the ride difference. then i bought a 2001 700sxr and it was even better. now riding a 2003 rx1 and the ride is even better so dont give up hope on yamaha ther will be something better every year. maybe they are not ditch bangers but over all compared to other brands in there catogory they are right there. funny about starting hard was in tug hill 2 weeks ago -32 below when i started my rx1 was a little worried . turned over twice and started luv this machine

Why would you need to rebuild the shocks on the ViperS? By my own experience, 4600miles of hard riding left the steel bodied units my Vmax came with feeling like new. I think the steel shocks can last longer than KYB rebuildables, since 2000-3000 miles means rebuild time.

I'd love a set of shocks from the S, sounds like the perfect set up for the Proaction skid.

The other 3 brands of sleds have all had variable rate shocks of one flavor or another from some time, and their ride quality stems from this. Look for more VR shocks on yamaha's from here out, but they will probably not be rebuildable, and most likely won't need to be.

shocks...

VJ - I respect your opinion and listen to your experience more than most, but take off the blue goggles for just a second...

Alumninum is better for heat transfer, and I believe we can all agree on that. I dont think Y installs "better steel" shocks on the touring sleds/xt's(not xtc) because they are better. (I agree you will have more steel in the future, but this is for cost & replacement parts purposes only)
If you are running hard in major moguls all the time shocks will not last that long. In fact you would probably enjoy a new set. (I thought you said you were looking for an Alum. set?) The variable rate has been the ticket, and will continue to be, but the general geometry has not changed, and that simply was my point.
I'll say it 1mm times, i enjoy & respect Y more than most, but I can see differences, because my goggles arent blue.

Do you think a set of race shocks for a Jetta would be steel or aluminum?
They may even be KYB.

Smile VJ

Suspension

I hate to chime in on a subject that has been a problem with Y for some time. But here goes, I loved my Yamaha's, First a 85 Phaser, 91 Exciter, 97 700 SX, 02 Viper with shock update. So you see a little history. I made the mistake of riding my Son's 02 MXZ, the ride was to say the least about 100% better. That did it for my back was crying out do something. The choice was an M10, 1500 additional dollars or trading to another brand. I decided to try the new REV platform, my back says thanks. I will admit that I still miss a lot about my Yamaha and if Y comes up with an answer to that rear skid and rider possition, I'll be back in a heart beat. Give me a REV with my Viper 700 and Y's fit and finish and I think I would be in Heaven. By the way, I'm just short of 60 years young and still trying to keep up with my Son and his friends.

back is crying

I am 1/2 the tinmans age, and back is crying. Many people here refuse to even ride another brand, but if they did--well the rear skids are better.

I also once thought Y got a lot of S*** simply because the design was old, and thought well Y was just so much furter ahead. Now i know that the skid doesnt compare. I ve got to believe M10 top customers are Y owners--
I really think Y is going to do something BIG, and then this conversation will come to an stop quick, and we will all be happy.

Back