Getting beat in races

amadoo

Please tell me if this is right. I consistantly get beat by my buddies Rev 600 SDI. We are both studded. He has 96 and I have 144. He kills me off the line and I can very slowly creep up on him at top end. I have a 2003 viper.... :(

Yup

I am not surprised at all.

The rev 600 sdi is the same HP.(120+/-) The doo has better hook up and sdi is more consistent: advantage doo.

You can focus on getting to the ground better, and keep your legs up top.
I personaly couldnt have a 600 doing that to my 700 and would go get some slp pipes, and spank that rev.

Many people are going to respond what junk the doo is and blue rules, but fact is the rv 600 is a nice machine if you can get comfortable with the higher cg.
Pipe it and forget it. (SLP IMO)

I also raced a doo 600 HO sdi this last weekend. Both of us were running 96 studs of course his studs were new and I have 2000 miles on mine, but he pulled me 4 sled lengths out of the hole, at 650 ft. I was by him and running away. Those doo's sure have a good hole shot, but no top end, I will keep my 600 SRX. Can't do without the sound of my triple.

600 srx vs 600 sdi --come on

Well if yamaha had a 600 twin with a single pipe--oh they did 103 hp

I am not sure you can compare a 600 sdi to a 600 srx--

I like Y but come on -

Cut about 1/2 inch off you transfer rod holders. This will give you a larger gap at full transfer, I ran mine like that all last year and never had a problem. I went from spinning to pulling huge wheelies and never loosing a holeshot. It would not hurt to put in 24 more studs.

CAUTION

To cut off 1/2" is a soso idea. First off i would go to a smaller plastic shim or adjustable rod rather than hack up you emachine. Also if you go to the wheelie machine you will soften the rear end, lose cornering, and eventually break stuff---trust me.

Like anyting do it in baby steps, and be sure it isnt permanent so you can go back if you wish.

Yes increasing transfer will help straight line performance.

Viper2002
I have adjustable transfer rods, But I did not adjust them for full transfer, we had just got off the trail and decided at the last minute to tuch em off. No doubt it would of made a dif. But all in all those revs do come out of the hole like a bullet.

revvssrx

yamaman -

My points are:
- It is sad you are comparing a srx 600 (3x3) to a twin single 600

- and your sled has more hp than a rev 600, and is designed to out run up top -- (note no long travel srx, because long travel costs you speed)

The rev 600 is designed for mogul mashing the srx is designed for FLAT fire roads and lakes.

My point is simply not to compare apples & oranges.

I like blue, but lets stay open minded here folks.
These chevy ford mopar type of arguments make me crazy, because many people havent even ridden another sled. Again I like blue, but why dont we compare a zr 9 to a vk540

bleueje17,

I do not ride the trails at full transfer, only when I line up on the lake. Most of the time I have the nuts cranked drown for better handling, I still have the handling but now I have much better transfer when needed. Besides how many people ride with the transfer rods with no gap?

I raced 2 600 Rev's last winter (Guys that I ride with) and I took them out of the hole by a full sled length. I am clutched with 192 studs, before I cut the rod holders I would just spin.

Those 600 revs are fast, they will run with most 800's in a short race

Bleuje17
Yes I know the triple has longer legs, their built for that. Like you say the Rev is a mogal masher. What I was trying to get across is that the Rev surprized me at how quick it was. I always considerd my sled quick. I rode the rev for 40 miles that day and it didn't seem that quick out of the hole. Maybe it is the exhaust note. But needless to say I was surprised at how quick it got out on me. As I stated befor I wouldn't put my sx 600 up against it.
I didn't mention that there was also a zrt 600 that lined up with us. Poor guy, couldn't even beat the rev.
Its not what you ride, Its that you are out enjoying the sport.

have you tried clutching with a multiangle helix or is it the way Yamaha sent it out??? They are notorious for setting up sleds very average..I just outran a viper with slps and reeds with my lightweight but stock motor just clutching...we switched secondarys and he killed me :wink:

>>>>

Yamaman - sorry I did not follow you.
Lets face it each mfg learns some thing from the competitors, and that is a GREAT thing for us the consumer--causes change.

You are right enjoy it period.

HI Guy's,

You are totally right about just enjoy. My SXR700 is exactly what I want it to be for my riding.
Of course it was still nice to beat the loud mouth ZR6 and the XC700.
BUt those Rev's are somthing else for speed. I personnaly did not like the feel of riding high up but that's just a personal preference.

I like the REV for what it was designed for, that being a beat the crap out of it flying threw the ditches and jumping snow banks. But for a ALL AROUND sled I'll take my yamaha any day. I really liked the Skidoo SC2000 chassis. I was scared to take a Rev 600 up past 80mph, it felt like I was going to dump over, almost like riding an old Elan :D

Have you ever tried Heel Clickers with a 45-37' helix?
I currently have them on my srx 700 (everything else is stock) and can and have been beating zr800, Rev800, and some of the 800 triples, out of the hole and on top end.

well i beat a 800 ho with my 2000 srx 700. so i dont know whats up with you guys getting beat by 600's

bully..

You have a srx and the thread was started re viper vs rev (NOT SRX)

The Viper is only about 120 hp, and heavier than a rev not to mention lack of wt trnsfer.

Well...we raced again. I'm telling you. That thing rips. Stock for stock, it kills the viper. He even beat my bud on his hopped up viper. I think he has 140hp. now. Triple pipes, and a bender clutch kit. He took him out of the hole every time, but caught up with him around 75mph. He just kills me. I'm gonna try the tranfer rods first, and then the clutch kit. I don't wanna go to skidoo. I did ride the rev. It was snappy. And great in the bumps. :(

Back