Seep snow - How too

happy10

What is the trick to riding in deep snow without getting buried too often? I have a standard Viper. (without going to a long track or mountain sled)
1) Going straight? Try to keep to minimul track spin or keep it gunned? Were do you position your weight?

2) Turning? Tilt sled to the inside, pulling outside ski up? Try to keep flat? What do you do with your body weight?

3) How about climbing Hills?

We run mostly groomed trails but when we get off into the deep stuff its no fun digging sleds out when the snow is to your nuts or deeper!

Thanks....

This would a fun post for snowest.com. You would get a ton of not so helpful comments.

First thing is to stand up. Second keep your momentum. Third stay in control of the sled, don't let it go wherever it wants. It usually takes a number of stucks to realize the right power for a certain condition. It is all by feel, but usually somewhere in the middle.

If you practice a little you will learn to be able to bring the sled up on one ski at will. Put your weight on one running board, and turn slightly away from that side. The sled will come right up. Keeping it balanced while headed in the direction you want to go is where the practice comes in. Many times you can alternate sides back and forth. This usually enables you to cross areas that you would get stuck in if you tried to go straight.

To turn simply bring the sled up on the inside ski to turn. Simply transfer your weight around to keep the balance.

Climbing, stand up with feet back a little and lean your torso forward.

The best thing for you to do is get a video like the Alticity series and watch it over and over.

Its all about momentum and body english, you have to be a more aggresive and stay in the throttle more. Pick you stopping points wisely, if you can loop around and stop in your own tracks, (or someone else's) it will make starting out again easier. Also try to stop pointing down hill. Sometimes its helpful to walk a short path 20 feet or so, (break a trail) in front of the sled when starting from a dead stop in the deep stuff. When starting out, go EASY on the throttle or you'll just bury it. Once your moving and have some momentum, then you can lay into the throttle more!

A good set of skis with more floation will help alot also. The front end will stay up and not submarine as much. I put Simmons on mine, they are a huge improvement over the stock Viper ski in deep snow.

One thing that will also help is when you feel yourself getting stuck let off of the gas and hit the brake you find that it is alot easier to get yourself unstuck. I put a 159 on my viper and now it is a totally different machine if you are going to ride the steep and deep you need more track.

Ding said:
If you practice a little you will learn to be able to bring the sled up on one ski at will. Put your weight on one running board, and turn slightly away from that side. The sled will come right up. Keeping it balanced while headed in the direction you want to go is where the practice comes in. Many times you can alternate sides back and forth. This usually enables you to cross areas that you would get stuck in if you tried to go straight.

To turn simply bring the sled up on the inside ski to turn. Simply transfer your weight around to keep the balance.

what he said.....plus put both feet on the same running board, and turn the opposite way on the handlebars.....

Ohhh!!! Post that on Snowest!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The dreaded countersteering threads!!!

Actually, what Bolin22 said is right on I'm just kidding around. Be sure to add some tunnel rail traction devices. Saves on the busted shins alot. :(

This is a topic where you gotta go ride with guys who ride the deep stuff all the time. I ride in Whistler Canada all year and it snows over 50 feet here, so you gotta be good or you dont go. I see all kinds where I ride, the guys who think a 159 is a short track and anything less is a waste of time. I love showing up at the top of an area on a 121 and see the looks I get. They cant believe I made it!! So what I'm saying is its all counter steer and knowing when to turn and start over. I can side hill on a steep slope for as long as I want. When you can do that you can ride anywhere. If you're ever out my way I'll give you a lesson in the deep stuff. I wish I could post video clips here, cause I got lots of Mpeg's that would help you. I will post some good photos next weekend. Good luck and learn how to carve your sled by counter seering.. Thats the most important thing.

Back