Mountain Max front & rear suspension setup

NMMM700

What is the best setup for the front and rear suspension of a 700MM with a 151x2" track and MPI transfer kit? I am interested in the settings of the limiter staps, front, center, rear shock preload, and full rate adjuster for use in powder and climbing. Any help is appreciated.

The best way to tune the Yamaha suspension is to make it work on trails. There is little you can do to tune it especially for deep snow riding. The weight transfer thing is a non issue when the snow is soft. Worry about the attack angle (17 degrees) and not about the rest of the set up. Climbing in spring conditions is a different story. When you can get hook up, you must figure out how to keep the skis on the snow. Sugar season steering is more about body positioning on the sled but as the season matures and you can get solid hook up you must rely on the skis to steer the sled. So, as the base firms up, increase your gear ratio (go as high as 1:2.25) and decrease the ski lift (weight transfer). The best way is to soften the front and stiffen the back. The Yamaha skid couples during the compression cycle and the transfer rods decide when the coupling happens. I never never been able to appreciate the coupling feature in conditions other than rough trails. IMO, you can drive yourself nuts trying to make a Y skid work well in steep and deep. Most serious mountain guys are using aftermarket or AC skids. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions ModMMax. Anybody else have a suspension set-up for the steep and deep?

front limiter

Last year My MM could do high ski lifts on the trail at any altitude. On the hill climbing it was hard to control. I shortened the front limiter straps and that brought the skis down when climbing. Now my skis don't lift as high and the sled climbs higher and is easier to control in the powder..

Back