New 05 Yamaha's...What's with some of you guys????

Heritage700

I don't understand what all the pouting is about....the 10 percent of you who "claim" to be ditch bangers, really should go buy a sno cross special of some sort...Yamaha has made it clear, they have no intention of racing in snowcross anymore....the reason is....racing no longer has anything to do with sales...if racing mattered...CAT would be number one in sales..they have won more races over the last three years than any other brand, yet they are third in sales...anybody here with half a brain knows why....Face it Yamaha is targeting the over 30 crowd, who has "GROWN UP", and wants to actually enjoy the sport of snowmobiling.....Yamaha doesn't need a ditch banger or snow cross racer.....I don't care about that crap..I stopped thinking the X-games were cool a long time ago.....Those of you that are bummed about the Vector...just don't have a clue...the new rear suspension on it is excellent...it's very similar to an adreneline Ski-Doo package...capable enough to ditch bang...yet plush enough to handle to big rough stuff on the weekend trails...and the new Rx-1 rear is one of the best new rears to come along in years...you watch how the magazines rave about the new Yamaha suspensions...IMO..they have improved their line-up across the board...these are gonna be the best riding..smoothest running yami's yet.... Don't cut the Vector down until you ride it..it's extremely quick, and the lightest four stroke on the planet right now....it's an excellent replacement for the viper...those who liked the viper will love the vector....it's better in every way....if it's not fast enough for you, put a turbo on it...and the only thing beating you will be a turboed Rx-1.......I could go on and on....but some of you cry babies, just don't get it....I'll take HIGH QUALITY, and RELIABILITY anyday...if you don't then go buy a Cat or a Doo....and while you are wrenching, I'll be riding.

Not true I was told by the Snowmobile product manager today there will be a snow cross team next year and Yamaha will own the soo 500

First off I am over 30 (37) and I will never grow up. I will be ditch banging when I am 80 if I can. Now, back to your point, if snowmobiling was getting on my sled and riding around in the woods I would not be a snowmobiler. I would put my Atomic's back on my feet and hit the slopes again. I really wanted to purchase a new sled this year and I might have done that if I really like the new skids. The RX-1 skid does look cool, but we don't know how it rides yet. I can tell you this, since there is NO EFI that I control with my PDA I will stick with my 01' SXR-700 (putting new shocks and X-pert in for 2005). Yamaha is a company run by business minds not racers. They creat products that will position them well over a wide range of buyers and time (years). They build a great product because they know that it is warranty claims that will eat up your profit faster than anything. When it comes to racing, why spend any more money than you need to, they don't sell race sled so they don;t race. They are selling sleds without racing. Yamaha is planning on selling 50,000 sleds for the 2005 season. No need to race with them numbers. Now, the cool thing to do would be to create a skunk works product that gets released on goofy dates. Release a grass drag 900cc SRX in June just for the hell of it. Make a SXR-with a 900cc SRX style motor with Ti and Mg parts so it's no more than 430lbs wet. Sell the sleds at 12,000 - 15,000 and they would ALL sell out at a good profit. It might not make any money for Yamaha, but sometimes work needs to be fun not profitable. Yamaha has plenty of cash to have some fun. Doug

who has "GROWN UP", and wants to actually enjoy the sport of snowmobiling.....
So you are saying if you dont trail ride you are not "GROWN UP"?
Why would you buy a 1000cc sled or any big sled for that matter if you are going to stick to the trails and put around like you are on a bravo.Not my kinda of riding and alot of ther ppl agree with me.Many ppl have there own intrest in riding.Mine is more agressave then others (yours) and that is what i enjoy doing! So some ppl were a bit unhappy with the new line up.Big deal.. im still sticking with yamaha because that is what i have liked the most outta all the sleds i have ridden/owned.

and while you are wrenching, I'll be riding.
Hey i ride a yamaha and i NEVER have to wrench and i still ride it like its made to be. So you are happy with the new line up yet some ppl are not.Dont mean you have to call them down because they dont want the same kinda sled you do.

Its almost like you started this trend to start up a fight...

PS nice words NY_SXR700 :)

Hmmm,

First of all Yamaha IS trying to agree with WSA to race a sled, and it may be a 4 stroke (same as in motocross, but need to agree on a fair displacement) While, I am not driven by Blairs latest acheivements many are or the other 3 wouldnt invest so much if it wasnt showing returns. This is marketing 101.

I think most people would like a capable ditchbanger of some sort, and no doubt Y can build one.(tonysxrspoint) Keep in mind whatever you consider a ditch banger, it will run fine on your sunday afternoon family ride too.
I am a little confused - Is a vector considered a ditchbanger...No way, maybe as close as Y gets, but not a true DB.

Everyone who runs Y realizes a priority is fit finish & reliability, and that is why we like them. However the others (minus cat) are very close, and listening to that "10%" of the riders. I think we are "pouting", because we want to stay with Y for the above reasons, but they are limiting our options.

After riding Y since 78 I personally am considering other options, and this is NOT a "threat", but my goggles are clear not blue...

05 sleds

No..not trying to start a fight...I just made sure I looked at what they released, and had my facts straight before spouting off about no ditch bangers etc...I like the direction Yamaha went...Who said you can't ditch bang a Vector, a Rage or a Warrior???...The mass is centralized, and it weighs what a Viper ER weighs....I used to pound my Viper through ditchlines all the time, and the Vector (Warrior, and Rage Too) have much better supension systems..plus you get all the benefits of the 4-stroke motors...no more smoke, smooth seamless power...Hey we all got what we wanted...lighter weight...new skids...and a new engine...so whats the problem???...sure I would have liked to see the vector under 500 lbs...but after doing more research efi and turbos....you really don't need it...just more cost, weight and more maintenance....besides the vector is lighter ,a dn has more HP than the Cat 660 turbo, which BTW has efi....so ask yourself do we really need efi or turbos...or is this magazine writers showing their bias towards Arctic Cat????....I also would rather own a Four Stroke, than a DFI Two Stroke Twin.

I think it all comes down to what Bleueje17 said

I think we are "pouting", because we want to stay with Y for the above reasons, but they are limiting our options.

I have no complaints with the 4-stroke and was actually looking forward to owning one. I don't really have any complaints about 120 HP either, if it's truely 120 HP and not 105-110. I do have a problem with the skid options and the weight. If I was only going to trail ride and never have to worry about being stuck then the line up would be great. But let's face the facts, my SRX is one heavy PIG and an SOB when it gets stuck. I'm sick and tired of dealing with a heavy sled and will not buy another one. I think the RX-1 is sweet but not when it weights more than the SRX. And from previous experience with MFG's, they're claims are usually high on HP and low on weight. Until I pick the front and back end of a Rage or Vector up and feel it for myself there's no way you're gonna convince me that it's going to be any lighter than my SRX and I won't buy another sled that weights that much.

I agree with ya Bigmax. A heavy sled is going to punish my back when it's time to dig out. Reverse might help get me out of some situations, and a worthwhile option all around, but it's going to weigh another 15lbs.

Also, when comparing sleds, keep in mind that the Yami 4 strokes come with electric start. The battery and starter weigh something.

If you look at a Sabercat600 with electric start and reverse, AC claims it weighs 500 even. How much more does the Vector weigh over this I wonder?

compare

I am not sure who was claiming the 4 stroke cat was a ditch banger,(nobody even mentioned that) but it wasnt me. Those are great sleds to tour yellowstone on.

Well the viper true weight was about 525 (per snowtech), and the er adds a min of 15 lbs I guess that statement says the vector should weigh 540, and that is more than a true DB. Besides Chasis design is a factor.

I hear you bigmax, and i will see true dyno numbers, and I'll bet my debt that it is far less than 120hp--we will see on this.

I was waiting for the release and read each and every page of the specs, but I was really let down for the machine I am in search of manufactured by Yamaha

ya, and.......

Heritage-well written post, but thats where it ends.
Do you own a ton of stock in Yamaha? Is this YOUR website? I would say likely no to the first, definate NO to the second, so where do you get off telling everyone we are whiners and crybabies, for not liking the crap we are forced to eat again from Yamaha? I dont really care about ditch bangers, snow crossers, or 2 ups, I ride the mountains, and we got NOTHING for the hills. I ride the heaviest mountain sled ever made, because I was stupid enough to trade my ekholm ride for one. I will make it work, with uber bucks, but would like for once to buy something from Y that worksin the hills. Am I not allowed an opinion either?

8) What really kills me is all these people who complain about the weight of the sled yet if they wanted to reduce the weight all they have to do is lose a little weight themselves.... then the weight point would go away. As far as ditch banging i have been ditch banging since 92 all with vmax 600 vmax 4 srx 600 now a viper..... dont care about the weight ..... care about fun and all these sleds have been and still are a blast to ride.......We have a saying..... just shut up and ride...

i am not trying to offend anyone, just want everyone to know fun over comes alot of things.... go blue or go home :roll:

Yamadog,

You're just not being serious enough about your snowmobiling. You just want to ride and have fun!?? :shock:

The way you put it makes me think these things are just toys! :wink:

'05's

I was hoping for a new chassis to compete with the REV. I really don't need more than 100 hp and like the 4 stroke idea and and welcome the three cylinder. Yamaha 2 stroke's seem to be pretty trouble free as long as you leave them alone. My sxr6 has almost 15,000 miles now and it still runs like new. DT

KBX 05 Yamis

KBX...I do not own yamaha stock, nor do I work for the company...I live where you would call the flat lands...you know.. where 90 percent of the snowmobiles are sold in the US (Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin)...I ride some pretty deep Lake effect powder in the UP...it's not moutainous terrain like you have...but some pretty deep snow...I currently own a ski-d00...but happen to like Yamaha's four strokes...and think they are headed in the right direction..for us FLATLANDERS who get it....the new yamaha models and suspensions are perfect...ditch bangers, snow cross racers need to go buy a rev....if you say yamaha makes lousy mountain sleds...I'll believe ya....cause I don't know....but...instead of crying about it here....go buy a summit rev...thats what I would do...If I don't like something...I don't buy it.....but I looked at the rx-1 mountain...it's said it's lost weight, got new skis....and some other goodies...so whats your beef....???...If you want the reliability of a four stroke...you have to put up with it's weight...period....a vector mountain with an after market turbo
sure seems like the way to go....an experienced mountain rider like yourself, should be able to trick it out nicely...don't you think???

tricks

All I have wanted for 5 years is a long tracked SRX. Nothing fancy, even as heavy as the 98 was, would have been fine. I modded 2 of them to the bag, and had hoped that I wouldnt have to lose another chitload of money on the rx1. Wrong. I was told that they work fine in the mountains, as is, so I got one. Wrong again. My beef with Yamaha is the fact that you DO have to spend another 5000 minimum to keep up with any stock 700 98 RMK or equivalent. The other reason I bought another Y is reliability, I have always had wonderful luck with Y engines, hope this one is the same.

Everyone cheer, bellyache, moan, piss, cry, boast as much as you like, its your sled, you own it. And dont let anyone tell you different. 8)

Back