03 Viper project done - finally

Madmatt

Well, after lots of hours it is done. Last February I put an ad in the Want Add Digest here locally that said "WTB your wrecked, burnt up blown up or otherwise beat up Yamaha Viper". Well I got a call from a guy whose son had "hit a fire hydrant" and the insurance company told him it would be $1,800 if he wanted to buy the salvage. When he said it had 713 miles on it I figured I'd better go look at it. Turns out he was riding the top of a snow bank in town and a fire hydrant was not dug out. He actually hooked the sway bar on the very top of the hydrant. It went in between the bulk head and the ski and was too low to catch the radius rods. It had torn the sway bar back through the front frame and crushed the front heat exchanger tube right under the primary. I offered him $1,900 and he was happy. Lots of drill bits, rivets and beer and the rest is history. Thanks to all the good TY'er's who sold me the parts to put it back together......especially BTV who had most everything. I have posted a photo of the front frame where the sway bar got ripped back through. I have less than $3k into basically a brand new Viper just as it sits. :WayCool: This sled is my daily driver. What do you guys think?

Madmatt

Attachments

• 03 Vip 1.jpg
    03 Vip 1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 03 Vip 2.jpg
    03 Vip 2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Front frame.jpg
    Front frame.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Extension & expert

The extension and the Expert came out of my old daily driver.....a 2000 SXR700. I took the track and suspension out of this Viper and put it in the SXR right before I traded it in on two dirt bikes for myself and my kid!

Madmatt

That is cool, after working on my own, I wouldn't mind doing the same thing to a RX1 or vector. Nice work!

You mean this one

If you are asking about the Viper pictured here, the answer is no. I took it to Ohio and MRVIPER700 has been wrenching on it for the last two months. Might as well say that it has a brand new motor now.....still a 780. Sheduled for the dyno next thursday. Send me a PM if you are seriously interested in purchasing.

Madmatt

Attachments

• Vipersnow.jpg
    Vipersnow.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Vipermotor.jpg
    Vipermotor.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 28
Why not!

I am selling because all my sleds are for sale all the time. Arent yours? ....although I am curious to see how it will run now. All the wrenching is due to two bad crank bearings and all of the damage they caused. This is more than a "freshened" motor. We're talking new case and crank, re-nick'd cylinders, pistons, gaskets, and quite a bit of head work. Don is a great guy.....I highly recommend him to anyone who needs Viper of SRX work done.

Madmatt

Back