how do lightly modded mm's preform

steamboatrider123

im considering getting a mtn max 700 because i've heard there really reliable. I was thinking about a rx1 but i dont think i'm ready for a 4 stroke yet. I have a 01 800 summit hmx and would like a sled that i could get some more miles on it. I'm going to ride my summit this year and then would probalby sell my summit and get a new sled. I want somthing reliable that can a nice sled for a while. If i got a mm i would definitly up the track on it to probably a 151 or something like that. How much do these sleds wiegh and how easy are they to boondock a work threw the trees. also how is the gas and oil usage. I also liek to jump and hillclimb what would you guys say i should do. also how easy is it to get them bellow 500 pounds.

I owned 3 mm,s. With out pipes & a few easy mods you can see about 116 -118 hp. They are easy on fuel & will get about 1 tank of fuel per quart of oil. If you go 151 you will be better to pipe it & then fuel economy goes into the crapper but you will see a realistic 130 hp. Others claim more but that is all you will see from pipes.

I have owned 3 MM also and in my opinion they are the most balanced sled I have ever ridden. You can sidehill until you run out of gas. Speaking of gas... My friends with skidoos all carry extra gas on long days, when they have to top up on gas I still have just under a half a tank. As for boodocking through the trees the sled works great for that. I have a 141X2 inch track and jump fairly big with good balance and control. My friend has a MM700 with Ekholm tunnel, skid, trailing arms and pipes, rolled chain case and his sled is light and climbs real strong. Outclimbs my sled by a good amount.
I would give this sled a big 2 thumbs up.
Change the skis, bars, for sure. If you can upgrade to an Ekholm tunnel and skid and you will climb with the best of em.
Just my 3 cents

I have a 99 MM700. It has pipes, reeds, split head gasket, and a 151 track. I love this sled. It has almost 8000 miles on the engine and still runs like the day it was new. This sled has never broke down or left me stranded. Other than minor routine maintenance, this sled has needed nothing. The big 900 sleds may hi-mark it a little, but it can hang with most 800s. The 151 is a great track for this sled because it can still carve in the trees, handle well on the trails, and jump with the best of them. Best of all, it is still pretty good on gas and oil. About 90+ miles on a tank with one quart of oil and that's playing hard (hills and powder).

so you guys think i could have a pretty well set up mm for around 3500 because thats what i think i could sell my sled for then get whatever also what year should i get

The 2000+ years of MM have the updated rear suspension geometry which makes for a better powder machine in stock form. I have seen that these sleds usually sell for $3000-$3500. These sled come factory with a 141. If you intend on putting a 151 on your MM, I would say go with an older model. The 97-99 MM's go for about $2000-$3000 and have the same motor as the new models. With the savings you could probably do the 151 track, extension, and pipes. If you played it right and found the track used or a new take-off, used pipes, and the long track kit, you could stay around $3500 or less.

My sled came factory with a 136. It was ok for most situations, but as always I wanted more. The 151 track is a great upgrade for the MM. I know some people are using longer, however I think the 151 is a the best all around track. Hmmm, a MM700 151 against a 151 800. Well, to be honest, the MM with the 151 would need pipes and a good clutch set-up. It all depends on the factors involved. I have hi-marked 800's before, but other 800's have high-marked me. It all comes down to your set-up, the other person's set-up, and driver experience.

Hey steamboatrider123, I am assuming you ride the Steamboat, Rabbit Ears area. How's the snow up there now? Got any? Done any riding yet?

ya i've been riding this weekend and last weekend. We've got a cabin up here and ride the pass a bunch. right now at the ears theres about 4 feet but theres no base but its an ok start there just is no snow in the forcast for a while

That's great! I'm down in New Mexico and we have no snow here. We usually have some by now, but not this year. No snow in the forecast either.

I ride an 01 mm700 piped with a 141 camoplast challenger

My buddy rides an 01 summit highmark X with a 151

He is a better rider so he usually outclimbs me but my sled has way more power(he outclimbs me even more when we switch sleds), on the lake he cant
touch me.

The biggest diffence is the fuel economy.
on a deep powder day he can only go about 100km on the 10 gallons the summit holds. I usually do a little more playing than him and with 120 - 130 km
on the clock, I only fill up 10 gallons. with 2 gallons to spare I can have more fun

Tom

Hey feeze,

I purchased a kit from Mountain Performance. Great kit with good, clear instructions and pics. The kit actually moves the rear suspension back in the tunnel about a couple of inches. This gives you a better track approach angle like the 2000+ MM's. I tweaked the kit with drop brackets from a 2000 MM to make the rear sit-up higher and not drag in the powder. There is a world of difference in the powder with the kit and 151 compaired to to the stock geometry and 136.

I love my MM

I bought this 1997 MM new and have been improving it little by little ever since. Each year mountain sleds are improved so to keep up to my riding buddies who ride new ones each year, I have been forced to continually upgrade the 97. At this time, not much remains of the original 1997. BTW, I would not trade my old MM for any other manufacturers new mountain sled.

Attachments

• sled 007.jpg
    sled 007.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 47
i think im gona do it if i can get enough money out of my summit and i can get a mm cheap i found one that i think i can get a good deal on it why do you like your old mm so much more than all the others and how much money did you put into it to make it rideable im thinking about maybe putting pipes on but other than that its probably gona be stock

Why do I like it so much? Well its kind of become an old friend. At this point, with NOS, it has more power than the M7 or Doo 800 and it is lighter than either of them. How much have I spent on it? The original sled was $8000 CA. I guess I have spent about the same on it over the years. You may not know what I mean by this but working on my snowmobile is my therapy, and its worth every cent I've spent.

o i know what your saying about therapy i'm just getting into working on sleds because some guy gave me a free 72 sl 292 and i've been working on it trying to get it running and most people who've seen it think it must be driving me crazy but i think its fun. but on the topic of the mm i've decided to do it if get enough money out of my summit which i bet i can. so if anyone knows of any near co could you help me out

Steamboat,
I ride a 02' MM and I love it. Some things to consider are 1. the approach angle metioned above on the pre 2000 2. the steering column on the pre 2000 was prone to breaking and 3. the 97' had some issues with the crank. After the updates to the crank the 700 triple became a seriously bulletproof engine. My buddy who has a 01 MM had pipes on it up to 4000 miles, then had it ported and put on another 16000! yes a total of 20,000 miles before a rod let go. That is truly amazing and you won't see that out of the other manufacturers. I would look for a 2000 or newer and put triple pipes on it. That is the biggest thing you can do besides engine mods. Huge gains. Also if you ride the powder you need to remove the transfer rods. They limit the amount of front end lift you get in the powder. You need to use a strap kit or make your own. I have my 02' piped, ported, head and have no issues with fuel or reliability. I ride all day boondocking and still have 2 to 4 gallons left in the tank. Usually closer to 4. Handlebar risers are a must. 2 inches is the max you can go with stock cables and is a big improvement. Going to a 151 is fairly inexpensive if you get the rail extenders from Mountain Performance for about $90. But the stock 141 works really well. I personnaly DO NOT like the Camoplast 141. I have heard the 144 and bigger is a better track but have not tried them, I have had better luck with the stock track. If you end up with a MM 700 contact me and I can help you get it set up. The MM7 is not much heavier than your Ski-doo. Weight is not an issue.

Back