PSI Twins on 91 Exciter questions!

JonMN

i know the sled is older, but have any of you out there had any experience with the twins on the old exciters?? i recently foun a great deal on a set. the set would be coming off an 88, will there be any probs with that? bump up 2 on the mains do you think? any help would be appreciated! thanks

jon

You found the right guy here. I have been down that road with Exciters. I owned a PSI Twin Piped 1987. A ported and factory stock pipe modded 1990(Hauck). A 1991 and 1992 Exciter II and a 1993 Exciter SX.

Let's start by learning some facts on those PSI twin Pipes and the beginning stages of the Exciter L/C. The 1987 Exciter originally came with butterfly 36mm carbs. Some had hard starting problems when the motor was warm. So Yamaha had the fix of giving everyone 38mm Mikuni round slides, which in turn many started burning down for some strange reason, usually just cruising in the midrange. Then PSI came out with some update needles to richen the midrange and remedy this problem, sort of. Later it turned out it was a harmonic vibration problem causing foaming in the 38mm carb float bowls causing midrange leaness. There were harmonic balancers, float bowl weights, etc. to try and remedy this.

Now let's talk about the PSI pipes. Originally in 1987 they came out with there fastest pipes. They ran at 82-8300 and had a nice gradual sweep appearance to them. They ran great on stock 1987-1990 Exciters. The bad thing is they ate up the old YPZ clutch on those sleds even faster at that rpm level. So PSI updated them to 7750 rpm to save on the clutches, but they were slower,much slower. I had both sets, so I know. The 7750 set had a bit of a "S" curve up in the header section which added to the overall length of the pipe to lower the peak rpm. I tried the high rpm ones on my Hauck ported 1990 and it was leathal, but had a strange intermittent bog in it about every third time you punched it in a drag. It had to do with the 38mm round slides. Flatslides helped, but it was also to do with the lond neck for the intake on the cylinder itself. That's why the Exciter SX had flatslides and a very short intake neck for instant throttle response.

Now lets talk about the 1991,1992 and 1993 std Exciter II's. Please don't bother trying to hop this sled up. Those pipes won't work, nothing will. Yamaha purposely detuned the ignition on that sled for reliability. They had so many burn downs with the older Exciters this was their fix. If you don't believe me call Pat Hauck at Hauck Power Sport in Wisconsin. The only way to make it run is put on a 1987-1990 Exciter ignition.

Sorry for the long winded story and the bad news, but these are facts.

journeyman

Hello. when you talk about excite ignition 1987-1990, which you want to say the CDI box?

Sorry for my english...

Thanks

I love them, noticable power gain over the stock one and a good sound imo. Just wish I knew what PSI recomended to use for jets and clutching on the Exciter SX. Currently, I have stock pilots, 2 sizes up on mains and still working on the clutches.

Thank for your quick reply.

So, with the 87-90 CDI Exciter 91-92 would be have more punch. Because better ignition fire?

Thanks

My exciter sx has a different cdi than a standard exciter. Does the sx have the older cdi to give it more power? Or would I benefit from putting the older cdi on?

i have a sx with bender pipe no problems as far as older exciters i rember bender had an updated flwheel to help in harmonics this air bubbled float bowls and ive had it crack pipes when turing hiher rpm with twin pipes.i just had better luck with single pipe when you trail ride

Back