Speedo stopped working, any quick fixes?

Sx700

On my 1997 SX 700 the speedo stopped working last month I had a new track installed right after it stopped working, when they put the track on they fixed the speedo, but noe it stopped working again, any quick fixes for this problem? or am I gonna have to pull the rear end out?

This is a fairly commom problem with some Yamahas. The most likely culprit is the speedometer "key" that's located in the speedometer cable housing that's attached to the drive axle beneth the secondary clutch. Pull the three or four nuts that attach the housing to the chassis. In the inside center of the housing is a small braided wire square key that's about two inches long that goes into a brass bushing pressed into the end of the drive axle. These wire keys can start to come apart after awhile, and once they do your speedometer doesn't have a signal. I've seen where this key can either be left out when putting things together after a track change, or kinked when putting things back together, which will also cause it to come apart. I've also seen the brass bushing get rounded out, so that the key just spins inside it. That's probably why Yamaha went do a magnetic pickup for the speedometer in '02.

As a disclaimer, none of the above things have ever happend to me.

I agree with Boomer, but also if there is any moisture in there then it could work when you replace it then if it freezes up it may not work the next time. So when you do replace the key make sure you lube it up real well and spray out both sides that the key goes into.

Just a quick-head up, it might also be a sign the your drive bearing is wearing (happen to know from personal experience, unfortunately).

Yeah be sure to check the bearing, I had one go, my speedo had stopped about a week earlier, the shaft let go and came back through my suspension and did a lot of damage. Definately worht a check

Back