144 swap??

FuninAK

AlaskaJeff
At work and thinking........If I went with the big wheel kit for my MM could I fit a 144" without rail extenders??? My budget will NOT allow what I really want to do: the full 151 swap, so this MIGHT be a cheaper alternative to a little better footprint and ditching the HEAVY stock Yokoload 141. LMK what ya think.

Seems like it might work. With 50% wrap on the rear idler the usefull difference in circumferences between an 8 in wheel and a 7 is about 1.6 inches so you might be able to suck up the extra track length for a while with the adjuster plus slightly bigger wheel. But don't most kits move the axle forward and up to compensate for the bigger wheel effectively gaining you nothing in length.

Just finished mine last night and that's exaclty what i did. I used an axle from HPE and three 8" Fabcraft wheels. HPE sends different axle adjusters with their kit so a little drilling is required but nothing real serious. I was very happy to get rid of that heavy Yoko 141. I'll take some pics tomorrow for you.

Nate

u can move the hole skid back but it mite mess with the approach angle...i have a 151 and u can geta 151 from tracksusa for 319 brand spankin new!
dnt know if its a huge difference cuz i never rode my sled stock i bot it modded

If your on a budget it would be much cheaper to get the rail extenders from Mountain Performance. Wheels are $80 to $100 each plus the axle is $100 or better so your looking at aprox. $300 versus buying extenders for about $100. Look at ther web site.

www.mountainperformance.com

My axle was $128 and the wheels were $45 each for a total of $263. I thought about going the rail extension route too but I really like the look of the 8" wheels and they are LIGHT with a capital L (althought the axle is a little heavier, but I went with only three wheels which saved a little).

If you really want the footprint but don't want to spend the $ for the tunnel extension (151") consider a 16" track. There is plenty of good advice about the topic if you hunt around a little and they fit the tunnel with little effort (what I have heard but not personal experience).

More on the Big Wheel Kit

There is an article about Big Wheel Kits in the October 2005 SNOWEST Magazine. Gives some pros and cons. Its a good read.

pictures as promised.....

Attachments

• bwk1.jpg
    bwk1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 28
  • bwk2.jpg
    bwk2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 14
  • bwk3.jpg
    bwk3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 14
  • bwk4.jpg
    bwk4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 26
I Like!!

Thanks, it looks great ;)! I see your x-fer straps are set pretty tight. I just put mine on and I've got them on the +3 setting and they are a bit looser than yours. Have you reun it yet this year?

My transfer straps are set in the 0 position right now. I have not had a chance to ride this sled yet this season(except in the driveway, and it carried the skis great!). I expect it will take a little tinkering to get it where I want it.

Nate

Nben those wheels are awesome wheels the back and the design go good together.

go to ebay right now. theres a set of Mtn perf 151 billet rails, where ta like 86 bucks. search yamaha mtn. Maxdlx

Back