Should I buy a '96 vmax xt 600?

Assultr

Hey guys,
I'm wondering what your input is on a '96 vmax xt 600. It is a twin, it has about 2300 miles on it and it has reverse. The guy is asking $1800, but im thinking about offering him $1500 for his sled. Whats your input? Is it a good sled? Will I like it as much as I like my 98 Vmax SX 600? Or should I wait until i find a good deal on a little bit newer sled? What should I look for in the sled before I do make an offer on it? And if i do buy it, are there any reccomendations as to upgrades that it really should have? Thanks for your help.
-Assultr

The Ex-gf has a 1995 Vmax 600 - good sleds IMO and they can be a cheap ride. Go ahead and offer $1500, the worse that can happen is he can say no 8)

Most sellers anticipate offers and will work with you anyway.

If you can spend a little more, the 97+ Vmax has a much improved suspension package. There are 97/98 700SX sleds on these boards fro $2k-$3K all day long.

Good Luck!
Joe

96 xt

This is the sled i was gonna buy, but ended up buying a srx 600. This sled has the proaction rear suspension and gives a nice ride. Its also is one of the better or best looking 96 and older vmax's in my opinion. $1800 isnt bad for the mileage. 1 upgrade that all metal ski sleds must have is plastic skis. Oh what a difference it makes on my 94 vmax 600 that i used to have, it was going 95 mph usually and wouldn't lift on take off that much, after putting plastic skis she lifted right up on take off and did 100 mph instead of 95.

I have the same sled with 3200 miles. nice ride, but there are some significant downfalls to consider. Track upgrades can only be 1 inch lugs, jetting and clutching doesnt significantly help the poor gas milleage which all of the 95-96 twins get. oil consumption can be a bit ridiculous when compared to the newer triples or a similar year polaris or ski dump

good sled for the money and miles, but the question remains on how much sled you'll want next year

I've got one, and I have to say I've been very pleased with it. Very low maintenance, just put gas, oil and plugs in it and go.

Gas mileage isn't the best, but isn't the worst, either. Besides, I'm constantly goosing the throttle anyway, which probably doesn't help.

And it's tough, too. Hit a stump with the track last year at about 60mph. I was told that the sled flew about 12 feet in the air and wound up turtled on the ice. (I couldn't see, I was flying in the opposite direction at the time) Nothing but a broken windshield, throttle lever and the gauge frame got mashed down. Started right up though and got me and my broken ribs back home.

There are the usual few mods that can be done, head gasket, reeds, etc. You can find GYT pipes for it, but I've heard that they cause more problems than they're worth.

Sure I'd like a newer one, but I can say that about alot of things.

$1500 is a good price. Just give the engine a thorough going over.

If you did'nt have the 98 I'd say you'd like the 96, but the trailing arm sleds feel (and handle) SO much better. Upgrades are a bit limited also.
I had a 94 and loved it. Piped it in 96, was fast but weather sensitive.
Put it back stock and sold it. Bought a 97 700SX and still riding it and upgrading it (thanks TY and it's members). 97 700's going for around $2000. I say go for the tripple! HUBCITYSX

Love that sled! (Iv'e owned 4!) But like everyone else is saying, buy a newer model!!! Look at T.Y.com if you want a heck of a deal- my 00 SRX for $3000!!!!!!! come and steal it!! I live north of Grand Rapids....
Bob
616-690-1278

I bought a 96 VMAX and LOVE IT! I think it looks AWSOME and runs great. I did put a 1" track on it and am going to test run it this weekend. I paid more than the going price and gave the guy 2K for it, But it only had 1,016 miles and was in PERFECT CONDITION, Words can't do justice to how nice this thing is. I also got a set of GYT pipes that I sold and got a couple hundred back, Also got a Yammy cover and shop manual. My riding buddy has a 97 VMAX 600 and I honestly like mine better. I do plan on new ski's for next year.

well, I offered the guy $1400 for it. He finally got back with me and said he would go down to $1500, but no lower. So, I decided I'll just wait till next year to pick up a second sled, unless a magnificent deal comes along before then. Thanks for your input, it was very helpful.
-Assultr

I have got a 97 VMax xtc for $1800. It has 4400 miles and is in excellent cond.
I had a 96 before and I feel that the new chasis is drastically better. could email you a pic if you want.

Heck I've got a 95 and 96 XT. On the 96 I've 136 X 1 1/2ed, changed the drivers to 8 tooth, extended the tunnel, dropped the suspenion out 2'', moved it back 4'', geared and clutched for 8k in alt, cut the head [180 psi], changed the pipe to a 97 fat pipe off an sx with a home built can, reeded, air box mod, raised handle bars 5 1/2s, plastic ski's. This sled handles excellant in the mountains. It runs harder and climbs as good as a friends 97 600 MM. The mileage is the same as the MM 600. I'd sell it for 2000.00 or reasonable offer. I ride Utah. I've done just about the same to the 95. I'd let it go for 1500.00.

96 VMAX 600XT

I had one too. Electric start but no reverse. It was a fun sled. Going the plastic skis is a must but the front end is harder to steer than the newer style. It was night and day between that and my Viper ER. I ended up selling it for $1500 with a new X-trail track on it. The mileage was around 5k but with the new track I figured it balance out for a fair deal. I never had any problems with the twin, gas mileage was ok and oil use was fair. I had a friend that had one too but his would suck the fuel almost twice as bad as mine, go figure. I found a deal on my 02 Viper ER so it was time to move on.
Now's the deal time before the the snows all gone :)

Best of luck,
Andy

Back