How is the mtn apex????

tomseal6

VIP Member
just wondering if anybody has a mtn apex and has taken it hill climbing? never owned a 4 stroke sled yet to mention a 4 stroke mtn sled but might be interested if i get back out to washigton

You will get more answers on the 4-stroke forum. Personally I am still riding mine around in the yard, it flips up on its side really easy for me, and with the short flap it throws lotsa snow

My friend pulled his out last weekend and I had a chance to ride it in the mountains here in BC.
I own a MM 700 and going from that to the Apex I couldnt believe this sled... The seating position is the best I have ever sat on. The distance from seated to standing is so little it makes mountain riding a pleasure. When I got back on my MM it seamed liked I was having to sit back down into a deep sofa, and pull myself all the way up out of it to stand up. So round one goes to Apex for the best seating position I have ever riddin. Round 2 goes to the Apex for throttle response. Yamaha did a great job on this sled compared to last years RX-1. The engine breaking is VERY noticeable and took a lot to get used to it. Even compared to the RX this is strong engine breaking. The conditions I rode it in were about a foot of fresh snow with a firm base so traction was good no matter what sled you were on, so I can't talk that detailed yet about how it rode in the deep stuff,,, but I was able to side hill and carve this sled as easy as my MM700. I ran it up a steep and deep hillclimb and it pulled the whole way up. Since the sled had 4 miles on it I couldn't really give it full throttle yet but even at 1/2 to 3/4 I could of towed my MM up this hill behind the Apex and still made it with speed.
I like the new Audi, VW, style flip key thing they have for it. It makes you feel just that much cooler then the guy next to you with that little round black piece of plastic (DESS)
Round 3 also goes to the Apex for handling. The trail up to the Alpine that day was 20 mins of bumps and ruts. My MM700 was not so smooth in those bumps to say the least but the Apex felt like I was on a cruise ship and my MM was a 9 foot aluminum in the ocean.
If my ridding style suited a long track I would have gone to the local Yamy dealer that day and bought the Apex.. it is a very very good sled.

Attachments

• TY Apex.jpg
    TY Apex.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 25
  • TY Brohm Ridge.jpg
    TY Brohm Ridge.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 25
Thanks,
Ill be getting one for sure if i get out that way again. Cant imagine what a super charged mtn apex would be like. I thought the mtn apex hoods were all black but nice sled!!

Yamaha had them at Cooke City last weekend for Test rides I took one for a spin on the hill and in the trees I was impressed

srxsrule loves his I'm going out to wyoming with him tommorow.Maybe if I'm lucky he will let me try it!

have new mtn apex
came from 700 mm and viper
like he said almost no movement to stand up
lots of power
just keeps on going
cant wait till i get stuck then we will see about weight up front
about 120 miles on it
hip and knees hurt more from horsing it around but when we figure out how to ride it that shoud stop
buy one you will love it

is there a rumor about something wrong with the track or drive system and yamaha came over from japan to check it out?? its what i heard on here but could be a bs rumor from a jealous competitor?

There is some issues with the rear muffler mount that is used in the tunnel. It is the same mount as used in the short track sleds and when transferring alot or bottoming the rear skid the track will hit this muffler mount. Nothing a few minutes and a sawz all or dremmel tool can't fix though. Working on a billet mount that will be lighter and elminate any possibility of the track hitting as well.

Back