New Member, and a few questions to get me started.

zitremedy

Hey everyone..

Just wanted to introduce myself. Just bought a 99 700 SRX the other day after riding Cats for the last 20 years. After a season spent in the shop, I have pretty much had it with the Cat..... figured I would switch it up and have always been impressed with the fit and finish on the Yammies, and have heard great things about their reliability. My dad picked up a 97 Venture a few years back and it has been great to us, so I figured this was the only course of action. Anyways, I love how this sled pulls.

Specifics about the sled: 99 SRX 700, 3000 km on the sled, fresh motor in it. No performance mods yet... but rode the guy's other sled that was tweeked and was blown away with the power. Just wondering, where should I start? I would like a comfortable sled for the trail, but want to wind it up some too.

A few other questions also, as I am new to Yamaha's but not new to sleds. Firstly, what type of belts do you guys run or recommend for this sled? I was considering the Dayco Ultimax 2 or 3, or is OEM better? Also, have noticed that my plugs have been wet and needed to be changed a couple of times when first starting the sled... just wondering if a fuel shut-off would solve this or if there is anything else to look for?

Great site BTW, I am looking forward to contributing regularly.

Hello

Welcome aboard. The srx was the king for a long time, and still can be. i would start by making sure your clutching is spot on. The tech page, get there from the main page side bar, has some excellent cheap mods for all yamis from alot of really smart guys. I always stick with the stock 8 dn belt they can't be beat. Post ?'s as you go along, you have a great sled there with a lots of potental. Was it a new motor, meaning a brand new like 01 or 02 motor. Enjoy Maxdlx

Stick with the 8DN belt, you should have nothing but good luck with it, and will hardly blow any. As far as tuning the sled up a bit, go with Heavy Hitters or Heelclickers. They will require some fine tuning to start with, but once you have a setup, your sled will absolutely move. I've got a 99 SRX also, and clutching and traction is key. Make sure you have at least 144 studs, I run 192 and it works well. What was wrong with the motor that it needed to be replaced? The SRX for the most part SRX have bulletproof engines, except for the occasional 98-99 SRX with crank issues.

Not sure what the problem with the engine was. The guy I bought it from works on Yamahas, he picked this one up with a blown motor, and put in a fresh one he had (99 engine). The sled looks like new and runs great... plus, I felt really comfortable buying from someone who knows the sleds really well... fixed our other sleds a few times.. very good work, great prices. Initially I was interested in a 98 Mountain SRX he had, but test rode it and found it pushed too much through the corners for my liking, since I ride mostly trails (had a 1.5 on it too, so that might have been part of it). I have put only about 25km on this sled and I am in love already.

Good luck with that sled, you will have a great time with it, assuming you like to go fast and not have to worry about major problems. One more thing though, make sure your track is plenty loose, just before it starts to ratchet or you will burn hyfax.

Welcome to Totallyamaha.com!!!! As was said above clutching and traction is the key to make them hall the mail. If you are brave a few thou off the heads, cut the manifold head pipes and she will really pull in the mid range.....

Back