cb 44" wide front end almost done

ejcamaro

Life Member
Website
www.myspace.com
I got my SRX back down on the ground to see how it will sit with my new cb performance kit. With the viper trailing arms and RX-1 shocks it now sits about an inch and three quarters higher at the front bumper. It should match up perfect with my expert x (which is the next project). Nothing is tightened up or aligned yet in these pics and the skis are just sitting on there. More to come later.

Attachments

• cb wide 2.JPG
    cb wide 2.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 48
  • cb wide 4.JPG
    cb wide 4.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 35
  • cb wide 3.JPG
    cb wide 3.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 22
  • cb wide 5.JPG
    cb wide 5.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 15

I'm waiting for new bushings for the ski spindles. I don't think I should start lining everything up till the skis are on and sitting like they should. Should be here by Friday I think. I may start the Expert X install while I'm waiting though. I'm torn between stripping the tunnel and polishing it before I rivet the Expert tunnel reinforcements on or throwing it together quick as possible.
I have aircraft stripper and the best polish available. I'm just wondering what the aluminum is like underneath the paint. Does it require any wetsanding?

The chassis will be extremely smooth when you remove the paint with the stripper. All I did with mine is remove the paint (long process) and then started polishing with a 8" wheel and a lot of simichrome. No wetsanding is required. Survey says..... Go for it!

done polishing

Here she is all polished. It's probably not as good as it could be, but the pics do it no justice.

Attachments

• 100_1454.JPG
    100_1454.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_1456.JPG
    100_1456.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_1455.JPG
    100_1455.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 34
Wow! That looks great - what did you use to polish it - and how long did it take?

Are you going to put anything on it to keep it shiney?

Nice Work!!

I used Lightning Shine made by Wicked Products with a 4 inch foam pad on my air drill. I really was surprized how nice the aluminum was under the paint, it really only took about 45 minutes of polishing per side. The stripper took the majority of the paint off on the first application, but then I had to put more on some stubborn spots. You can get Lightning Shine at any Freightliner dealer or some truck stops. Its all I use on my semi anymore.

Change of plan........Since the modified RX-1 shocks look to be the perfect length, I just ordered Haucks shock mounts for Viper/RX-1 style shocks and am going the route of Fox Floats!!!! Those mounts should bring the top of the shocks out a bit to get a better angle too. What do you guys think? How much total weight will this kit save me with fox floats Bruce?

I have ridden on fox floats........I far prefer ohlins. they were ok, but not what I expected after all the hype. nice, but not for the price

kinda done

Well here it is before and during my trip to Eagle River. I still have fox floats to put on and more decals. The Expert X and Hacksaw really hooks up! I have to give props to Bruce at CB too, I left the Apex at the cabin and put over 300 miles on the SRX over the weekend. Nothing I've ever rode handles as good as this sled. I need a bar riser bad.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 36
wow, sweet setup, looks amazing and real clean! if you want to leave the apex at my house, I would let you have the viper, even stevens ;)

Back