97-700 MM Loose rivets at trailing arm mount to tunnel

uperjim

Just bought a 97 MM700 (4600mi) and on both sides where the trailing arm bolts to the plate that rivets to the tunnel--I have loose rivets and they are beginning to elongate the aluminum in the tunnel around the rivets. Is this common or was my sled hammered on? The only fix I can think of is to add a stainless plate on the running board top and either rerivet or bolt things back together. Any ideas here? I do have to hammer the tunnel down on one side where it looks like the trailing arm went over a stump or something. Any ideas are appreciated.

The previous owner probably hit something with the ski on the side that you have to hammer back straight. It really doesn't take that much... just the right hit and it will do that. As for the loose rivits, that's common on the SX / MM. Go to www.benderracing.com and you can buy a kit for about $50 that strengthens that area.

Sounds like it has been used a bit, and maybe bent a trailing arm at one time. Do ya think it can be possible to get the next size bigger rivit and drill out the ovaled hole? Or another suggestion is to drill some new holes (if there is room) and install rivits there also. Just a couple thoughts. PH

Big-max----thanks for the Bender tip---I asked the dealer and they didn't have a clue but that kit looks to do the job. I could make a couple plates but the $50 would be money well spent to save the time. Thanks again

I had a 97 Mountain Max and the dealer repaired both sides on mine, he said there was a bulliten trom Yamaha. He did it no charge. they drilled out the old and used some real heavy rivits. No problem ever again.

Good luck.

Back