Most reliable Yamaha

Fasterblaster

I am going to keep my eye out for a great deal in the off season... '97-2000 MM 700??? What is the most reliable all purpose sled built by Yamaha in the late 90's early 2000's???

The mtn max/sx/sxr 700 series is bullet proof--even modified. The only thing that goes is waterpump seals --typical between 4-7k miles--Otherwise - run it

Dont forget the Phazer

I think you have to put the Phazer in that list too. Ive got one and its been great.
Not all that fast but reliable and pretty decent fuel milage.
Last winter I was out riding with my brother and his wife. It had been 40 degrees all that day so we decided to do a night ride.
Well, let me just say that the conditions werent exactly what you would call, "ideal". It was about 45 degrees with a light rain. For the most part the trails we found were pretty bare in spots with "snirty" snow. Shortly before we got home we had to cross a lake. About halfway across the lake had about 3" of water on top of the ice. The whole way across my sled would sputter on occasion from the spray of water hitting the exhuast pipe.
Needless to say, I shouldve stayed home on that one.
However, the Phazer ran just fine. My brother and his wife had to stop about every 10 miles (he had a '97 Polaris 440 XCR and she has a '98 Polaris Indy 500) because they sleds would start to overheat. I didnt have any problems with overheating (I was glad that my sled is fan-cooled on that day).
Also, on average my Phazer gets about 16-18 mpg and it will do about 70 mph on the lake. Thats pretty good for a 15 year-old sled if you ask me.
Sure, the suspension isnt exactly the best (I can make the front bottom out pretty easily) but overall its a very nice sled.
I think in the next year or 2 I will be in the market for a nice '01 or newer 700 SXr or SX Viper. Ive been able to find some '97-'99 600/700 SXs but most of them have 5,000 miles on them. Besides, those years the sleds were red. Im a pretty big fan of motocross, and to me its just not right unless a Yamaha is BLUE. I have heard that in he past, Yamaha's race colors were red. I believe the Moto GP factory team's bikes are red also. The Phazer is really nice but I want something with a little more power and better suspension. Its good to hear that the 700 is pretty bulletproof, does the same hold true for the 600?
Do you think it would be worth it to wait another couple or years and save up for an SX Viper? I dont really race that much or do any ditchbanging, most just trailriding. However, the rest of my family rides Polaris, so we have a lot of "friendly" competition when we go out riding and I want something that wont take a backseat to a 2002 Polaris 600 XC.
Thanks

Rock solid sled

I agree with the old phazer being pretty though, Those old fan cooled motors even in the old exciters of the 70's manny are still running today! The mid 90's vmax's were also! I have a 99 SRX700 and have over 8000 miles with no problems other that regular maintenance! That sled will run with anything in comparison! The gas milage is great, speed and slot car trail handleing is outstanding! Lets face it all yamaha's are great runner's, reliable beyond comparison! Thats why I still ride Yammers!

all yamaha chassis are pretty bulletproof, and for reliability the 485cc fan motor (phazer and venture XL) and the good ol red head 698 (non valved, SX700, mm700, vt700, sxr700) are a dream. the SRX motors, both of them 600 and 700 are AWESOME motor, pull like a demon, go forever and get killer fuel mileage, the only downside is that you should clean and align the valves atleast once a season. that's probably my favourite motor of all time tho, 2 stroke or 4.

the viper has varying compression across the cylinders which make it not one of my favourites as it's alot harder to mod, plus I hate pulling the head gasket vs just the O-rings, but it IS a reliable and efficient motor, just not made to be worked on.

hope that helps!

The 2001 sxr 700 would be very tough to beat.There were enough enhancements over the others that put it out ahead.Very well balanced between power and handling.What you give up in power you get back in flat cornering.

Jeff

u cant beat the vipers motors 20239kms on it and only thing i change was a stator and it cost me 200 bucks sled runds mint i put on about 4400miles a year and its never give me problems

Last edited:
You dug up and responded to a thread from 2004 ???? WOW
That's ancient history! LOL

Last edited:
I just popped in on the Viper SRX thread and not far off the top a couple of cooked 700 engines....hmmmm

Well I have a 600 twin and suppose to be pretty reliable or "bullet proof" I believe the term is. Check it on the weekend (last run for the year) appears to have one steel head gasket. A tab stiking out with a small hole in it. I don't see any layers either. I there were more they are gone then.

Welll most reliable are the ones still running with gas & oil and no tear downs. Driving style probably has a lot to do with it as does the gas I am sure.

Cheers .... keep-er running on the snow :2strokes:

Had a modestly modded 01mm and the only problem i ever had was a waterpump seal. Had a viper heavily modded (lt. wt. pistons, pins and rods, internally modded exhaust, clutch refacing, alignment and overdrive sheave, ported, polished, entire chassis aligned, etc.) throttle was completely explosive and surprised um....everyone. Zero problems. Either tuning fork triple is a mod dream. good luck.

2 stroke phazers and the 700 sx/sxr's would probably be the top 2 reliable yami sleds in that year range, well of ones that are fun to ride.

My 2001 SXR has not broken down on me one time.
227.png

Back