tunnel polishing?

Canadiyama

what have you guys found to be the best method for polishing? What products do you use? I've seen some sled with this done and it looks awesome....thanks

I prefer Mothers over all the others. I use a cordless right angle drill and the small 3.5" buffing pads.

Not to steal the thread but i am also very interested in doing this to a sled How do u go by taking the paint off first? sand it? paint remover? thxxx

guys, to save time and heartache, the easiest and longest lasting way is to remove all the rivots, makes the process much faster and the rivots wont rust after.

stripping

We found that the Aircraft brand of stripper is the best by far, and the spray can is the neatest. A couple applications and your paint is gone.

A good deal of cleaning with steel wool will start to clean things up nice, then a couple applications of Never Dull will really clean the crap off the aluminum. A good electric polisher with Mothers polish will give a shine you can shave in.

Good Luck

polishing the tunnel is very easy as long as you get the correct instructions from people who have done it before. Me being one of these people I will tell you that the easiest way to remove the paint and stickers off the chassis is to use aircraft paint stripper like the one here.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?12815&affiliateid=froogle

This is what I would use over any other stripper out there. You spray it on, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and wipe the paint off.

Once you strip the entire chassis, Use and electric buffing wheel and get at it. I used a ~8" buffing wheel with simichrome and it worked out wonderfully for me. The beauty of the simichrome is that it leaves a protective layer and that is one reason why my rivets hold their polish and refuse to rust. Once you finish getting as much as you can with the wheel, go back and do it by hand, then take a picture. It really turns out nice and is worth the wait as you can see. THe first picture is of the stripping process and if you look closly at the chassis where it still has paint, you can see that it is bubbling and once it reaches that stage you can wipe it off with a rag. The second picture is after using the wheel and the last picture is after I hand polished it all.

This should motivate you!

looks great man.......I have the 01 and it doesn't have any blue paint on it, so is it just bare aluminum that I have there or is it a silver paint on the tunnel? I'm hoping it's just aluminum so i can just go at the polishing.

ok I'm thinking about doing this too.. My only questions are how long does it take get the good polished look and how long does the polishing last. And how exactly do you keep the rivets from rusting??

So how much "stuff" did you remove prior to polishing? Seat, track flap, any rivets, etc? Wondering how much of my free time, what little I have, this project will eat up ;)

The only thing I removed when I polished my tunnel was the seat. Everything else can stay on. Just get some aircraft paint stripper and wipe off all of the silver on your chassis. Then get yourself a buffer or do it by hand and get working. I left all of my rivets in and they all are still holding thier polish.

Back