Draining the carbs

mdkuni

I was told to drain the carbs when storing the snowmobile. I was wondering though, if I shut off the fuel valve and let the snowmobile run till the gas is out will that cause any damage to the snowmobile and will it get all of the gas out?

My experience with my Viper has been to completely drain the tank, start up the sled and let the fuel run out with no damage to the engine. I do not have a fuel shut-off valve installed. Then I remove the airbox so I can gain access to the carb bowls and then remove the fuel from them as well. Also prior to draining everything I do put the recommended dose of fuel stabilizer in the gas so if there is any residual gas, like in the fuel pump and lines, at least that gets treated. This has been my ritual the past 2 storage seasons and I have not had any problems. I also spray fogging oil in thru the carbs and down the cylinders to prevent rust, etc. So far, so good.

My procedure...

As Im sure you have read, most manufacturers nowdays want you to use fuel stabilizer. Im not a big fan of this. I tried it one year in my little lawnmower and it didnt work out too well. It took about 20 pulls before it finally started (normally it takes about 2 or 3 when I run it dry).
I siphon out as much gas as I can and then I run it untill the engine dies. I dont take the carbs off and drain the bowls. There is such a small amount of fuel in the carbs at that point that its really not a big deal. You get maybe a teaspoon of fuel out of the bowls if you drain them, thats certainly not enough to varnish and plug up your jets.

Captain_Toyota thanks for the input. What about damage to the engine with running it out? Have you heard anything about that? I have heard some people say that it is not good for the engine? What do you think?

;)! I guess it all depends on where you store your machine. I don't do anything to both my sleds. Mine are stored in my garage so I do start them up every once in a while during the off season. Then before the snow season I drain the old fuel (pour into the truck) and clean the carbs so why go through all the trouble and do it twice. What's better than rolling your machine out on the driveway in the middle of summer and waking up all the neighbors with the sweet sound of those pipes. Everyone has their own opinion on this, and don't think one way is better or worse than the other. It's worked for me for many years.

I have fuel shutoff petcocks on all my gas powered machines right down to my snowblower. I made the mistake years ago of not purging my carb bowls on my Virago and after a few years of storage, ended up having to take my carbs apart, painstakingly cleaning them.

I installed fuel shutoffs on both my VMAX and SRX, purchased through Yamaha catalogue (should tell us something). As part of my "summerizing regiment" I run my bowls dry, ...don't notice any unusual noises, just gracefully runs out of gas.

Back