SRX mountain sled project

ModMMax

Well, here it is. The good news is that much of the work has already been done. Bought this from a TY member who changed the tunnel, rolled the chaincase, installed a Doo skid, stretched it to 156 with extraverts, ported and freshened the engine and installed a lightweight front end and ATACC.

I installed a goldfinger, lifted the bars 2 more inches and moved the digatron. Ordered a Boss seat, Outlaw hood, remote fuel screw adjusters, hi tech clutching and V force reeds. Crankshaft is out for welding.

Unsure of what to do for a head, or in this case, heads. Cylinders are ported and pistons and rings are fresh. Compression at 7500 ft was 90# on all cylinders. Don't know if I should be concerned about the apparent low compression or not. MPI's catalogue says that you can use a 1 cc smaller head chamber with porting. My guru friend says that ported engines will often show reduced compression. I don't understand this part yet. Maybe someone will chime in and help to make sense of it for me.

Attachments

• can for sale 008.jpg
    can for sale 008.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 52
  • can for sale 009.jpg
    can for sale 009.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 57
  • can for sale 010.jpg
    can for sale 010.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 67

ported motors usually show lower compression because there corrected compression ratio (the compression ratio as measured from the top of the port) is lower, it's lower because the port is higher than it was before, meaning less trapped volume.

for cylinder heads I'd recommend a swappable dome design, it's certainly nice to be able to swap in domes for flatland riding if you want to go for a rip without driving. And for you I would imagine the mountains are a good 15 hour trip minimum.

looks like a sweet project tho, can't wait to see it in final form!

Hood arrived

Hood came from Outlaw Composite Hoods. Sure is light. Included a pic of beginnings of a tail rack.

Attachments

• outlaw hood 001.jpg
    outlaw hood 001.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 41
  • outlaw hood 002.jpg
    outlaw hood 002.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 64
  • outlaw hood 003.jpg
    outlaw hood 003.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 50
They claim it weighs 11 #. Don't knwo how much difference. Picked up the original blue one today to remove the guage pod and its sure a lot heavier. It cost $499 usd.

tracked drilling

Decided to drill this track. Its 156 by 2 and came with the sled. Its seen better days and I was planning to replace it with a 159 by 2 for next season. Thought i might as well learn something about stretch and cooling before I retire it. Used a wooden template to drill the pilot holes and then used a 1-1/8" sharpened hole saw to cut the holes. Cutting produced a little smoke and enough heat to vulcanize the holes edges. The outer holes are cut so the inner wheel runs in the middle of the hole. I intend to use 4 rear wheels. I'll post another pic once its in the sled.

Attachments

• track drilling 003.jpg
    track drilling 003.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 61
  • track drilling 002.jpg
    track drilling 002.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 30
  • track drilling 001.jpg
    track drilling 001.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 37
I think the count was 186 holes. The two people drilling the holes were real tired of the project by the end. It cost me a lot of beer.

Track and skid are in

Blueprinted skid frame, drilled track, re-polished rails, installed rear axle for 4 8" AC wheels. Tensioners are not in yet. Hood comes back from the paint shop tommorrow.

Attachments

• installeskid 001.jpg
    installeskid 001.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 26
  • installeskid 002.jpg
    installeskid 002.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 28
  • installeskid 003.jpg
    installeskid 003.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 32
  • installeskid 004.jpg
    installeskid 004.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 43
They are AC 8" wheels. Don't know what version. They came with bearings for about $35ca each. Called my cat friend who ordered them from the AC dealer for me. It surprised me when they came with the windows cut out but I like the look. Biggest issue was the diameter of the axle. Had to use a big wheel axle designed for the doo skid. It is built to use wheels with 1" id bearings. The cat wheels came with .783 id bearings. No bearing is available with an od to fit the wheels and an id of 1" so I had to machine the axle. Not a big deal but I didn't see it coming.

Progress

Hoods back from paint shop, installed air vents in the guage pod, tail rack finished. Waiting on crankshaft.

Attachments

• painted hood 001.jpg
    painted hood 001.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 50
  • painted hood 002.jpg
    painted hood 002.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 17
  • painted hood 003.jpg
    painted hood 003.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 14
  • painted hood 004.jpg
    painted hood 004.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 72
anyway you could find out what the part number for those rear wheels i love to have some :rockon:

Back