Viper tune up

SnowBandit

Website
www.slednewengland.com
I have an 2002 Viper that has about 6,000 Miles on it. What should I be replacing before the season starts.

Front bushings?
Rear skid is getting changed out with a M10 so nothing back there worries me.

Bearings on the clutch side? Chain case bearings? Reeds?

I am a little low on compresson but nothing major. Pistons look ok too...

Anyone know of anything that wears out and just should be replaced? I am going to put about 3,000 on her this winter I hope and don't want to be working on her in -40...

I would put new bearings in the drive line while you have the time. It is better to do it now rather then be broke down on the trail or ruin a driveshaft or jackshaft. I have a couple of SRX's that the speedo bearing was bad at 1400 miles and one was bad at 1000 miles. :shock:

It's the left side drive axle bearing. Down behind the secondary mounted low in the tunnel. To change it, loosen the track, remove the four nuts that retain the speed sensor pick up coil and bearing plate. remove the two torx set screws that lock the bearing to the axle shaft, then pry it out, I use a BIG screw driver and pry off the outer driver. Sometimes they will be rusted to the shaft, if so soak it real good with penitrating oil and tap on it with a hammer and punch. Also check all of the idler wheel bearings while your at it, seems like I'm always changing out a couple during the pre-season check over.

I change mine at least every other season, or if I have it apart for some other reason (track swap). When they go bad it can wipe out the chain case at the other end.

do the jack shaft one while you are at it. it has the same miles as the spedo bearing. chain case ones i wouldnt change unless they have a rough spot in them when you turn them. usually the ones that run in oil last longer especially with regular oil changes.

I agree with maim do both the jackshaft and driveshaft. Check the chain case bearings carefully. Those are not that expensive and they do have 6000 miles on them, if it were me I would change them while I have it apart.

I may be wrong on this, but check the motor mounts .... I know a few people who had loose or broken mounts on 02 vipers.

Motor mounts might not be the right word for them, but that is all that comes to mind.

Back