Please help with carb cleaning!!!

TJ500

99 VMax 500.... Haven't ever cleaned the carbs and don't really know where to start....Is there anyone who has a procedure written down detailing this maintainence?

I tackle many mechanical issues myself regarding this sled, I am just a little apprehensive where this is concerned.... I am also apprehensive to run the sled this winter without proper carb maint/ cleaning....

Thankyou in advance for all input...

TJ500

I can tell you what I do>>>

First I Remove the carbs, completely disassemble them, I then use a brake parts cleaner to clean out all the jet's and passages, I then blow everything out with compressed air and visually inspect the holes in the jets and stuff. I then Adjust the float height and syncronize them, set up the mixture screws and reassemble.....

as for setting up the float height, the information for this is listed in the tech page.

Nasty how? it's the new and improved stuff by GM I use, it's now environmentally friendly and smells different, but it is very similar to contact cleaner, or even spray degreaser, they evaporate quickly and don't leave any residue. just don't spray any rubber parts with it.......................

You'll have to pull the air box first, and see how bad the carb inlets are. Usually you'll get some oil/belt dust residue built up on the inlets. This can plug the pilot circuits and cause problems.

If it looks gross, then going further is a good idea. You'll have to disconnect the coolant lines and tee them off, same with gas lines.

You can pull the bowls off first and see how much junk is in them. If you don't find any varnish, you can then spray out the jets and circuits you can see and probably leave them alone.

The thing about adjusting everything is, if you don't have any problems, you don't want to mess with them!

You'll have to take care in getting the throttle linkage back on right and adjusted. Count the turns on the locking nut when you take it off, and put it right back.

That's a start, good luck!

Back