What is needed to widen skis on 87 Phazer

hardfacer

Sled was wrecked and I must cut strut tube to fix anyway. but to widen the stance extend cross tube along with tie rods and sway bar or is it more involved?
Hardfacer

I wrote this about the 540's

I have added wide kits to V-max's and firmly believe this is the single biggest improvement to stability, ride, handling, reduced ski lift, not to mention they look awesome !
You need to remove the hood and side panels. Then lower the front of the belly pan by drilling out the rivets (to weld underneath of cross member cuts). Next remove the skis. The two most important steps are #1 to scribe horizontal lines around cross member to insure you get the strut holders realigned also, write down some point to point measurements for reference. #2 Cut a straight line as (close) to the inside of C.M. as possible and (away from strut holder) this allows more C.M. left on strut holder for better realignment when inserting extensions. I also drill 4 3/8" holes around C.M. only (not) extensions to allow spot welding thru the C.M. into the extension along, with the welds around the cut. Tack both sides on then use a straight edge on strut tops and bottoms to help alignment. Check all scribe marks, angles, and measurements before completely welding. On the V-max I found it necessary to grind out and extend the hole approximately1/2 to 1” back on the right side of the sled where the tie rod goes thru the bulkhead and out to the strut.
I've found the 6" wide kit, which is a 40" ski stance to be a good all around width for trail riding and trailering. I tried Bender Racing kits with full-length extension to be impossible to drive thru center of frame with welds protruding on C.M. engine mounts ! ? Stick with the 2 shorter extensions from Reichards Performance, Dennis Kirk., Shade Tree or others ? I don’t know of anyone who still has wide kit panels for these sleds but, I personally found them to be poor fit and finish and ungodly looking anyways ! For PhazersYamaha had rubber fillers on the 40”widened 96 ? Phazer II’s to fill in the gap between the panel and strut holder

For the “Do it yourselfer’s “ the pipe Bender sent me was 6.75" in circumference 2 1/8" in diameter with a 1/8" wall thickness. 2 pieces approximately 12-14 " in length should do the trick. You can either buy longer tie rods or cut and extend your originals .

Good luck any question let me know. Chuck Schettler chkinetics@csonline.net 814 226 – 1595 7-3 eastern or 814 354 – 2687 evenings

Back