Hard Starting

schroon

Website
www.pacific-custom.com
My 98 & 99 700 srx's are hard starting in the cold or warm if they sit for any lenght of time, a couple of weeks or more. I takes alot of pulling to get them to fire. Is a primer system good to use or is there a problem some place else? In the winter when I do use them they have no problem starting the next day after use and there seems to be no performace loss once running. The sleds have about 2500-3000 miles on them. The carbs have not been gone through and the chocks are working.

I find it odd that your having problems with both machines, ...make sure you toggle the choke all the way down (3 positions) when starting. My SRX takes 3-4 pulls on average after sitting.

i would not consider this a problem. my srx,98, is the same way and my buddies have 00 and 02's and they do the same. although i must say that the 02 starts better after sitting but still is a monster below 10 degrees. after trailering they seem to bleed fuel back out of the lines and make it a nightmare to prime. to avoid premature recoil wear and to avoid the work out i usually will pull the spark plugs out and crank it over 20-30 times after i get it off the truck. then she will fire within one or two cranks with the plugs in it. yamaha claims that with a double daiphram in the fuel pump that it does not require a shut off. i think that a shut off would help for ease after sitting or trailering. happy cranking!

I will admit that I do have a shutoff installed on all my machines which I use religiously.

my 98 srx 600 has the same problem....just seems to take a little bit more to start it when it has been sitting. Maybe i should install a shutoff switch as well.

If you are starting your sleds frequentley in the summer you might be createing water in the tanks from low amounts of fuel. Just a thought. I use stabil in my sled for the summer and no problems come the fall!

:WayCool:

hmm we start the sleds all through the off season. my bro is gettin pissed at me too for it. mine always starts 1st pull. his viper 2-3 pulls. it was the same during sledding season too. now im just talkin about the sxr 500 not the enticer II. that thing has always been a hard start if it sits for more than 24 hrs since new. :rocks:

Back