How to improve reliability of '89 Exciter 570?

Oyvind Ryeng

Website
oyvindryeng.net
Reliability is my first priority as I often ride all alone in the mountains, tens of miles away from any form of civilisation. I always bring with me a spare drive belt, plugs, LED-headlamp, my cellphone (no, I don't trust that the service will be available everywhere) and a bare minimum of tools; what else would be good to have on the sled, "just in case"? A break-down is just not an option, and a new(er) sled is still to expensive for me at this point (damn school; interfering with my riding *mumble*).

I was thinking:
-Removal of separate oiling system, start using premix (fewer parts; less can go wrong).
-Cleaning up the fuel system (tank, carbs, lines, the works).
-Having the jetting set just a teeny bit on the safe (rich) side.
-Inspecting/improving all electrical wires and connections.
-Giving the entire sled a FULL checkup, with respect to structural integrety of all the parts.

Am I on the right track here, and/or could you guys point me in the right direction?

yes, your on the right track...also keep an eye on idler wheels and bearings, drive systen bearings, clutch bushings and belt wear.

You might want to consider a good pair of socks, mitts, lighter and flask of good scotch, just in case murphy gets the best of you, ...dispite your efforts. ;)!

make up a survival kit or buy the tins with one inthem at can tire or your local out door store. the only other thing to suggest other than a riding buddy or notifing some one of your intended return time is carry an axe or hatchet so you can make a fire or a shelter if need be. this stuff ony costs you some weight on your sled and can stay with the sled in compartment and can save your life. the axe is the 1st thing i put on any new sled i get right after the lic #. :yam:

heres one of my tricks.... i fill a 20 0z bottle (pepsi) with 3/4 kerosene and 1/4 gasoline and tighten lid good, and put that in your trunk your always ready to start a fire with minimal effort.
with all the rough riding i do, have never even had a leak... works great ;):D just dont drink it :yam:

Back