Waverunner III top speed and performance?

Upnorthguy00

Just put new top end on my 1991 Waverunner III. Went to ride it today for the first time ever. Dosent seem to have a whole lot of grunt? This is in compairison to my friends 95 750 tripple Polaris. Seems like the top spees is only like 30-35 mph. The ski runs good and get up on plane ok but dosent have alot on top. Also I tryed to do a 180 on it and couldnt. should this ski be able to do this or am I just asking to much of a old PWC? Any tips on what to check if something is wrong.

Thanks Ryan

Dose any one know how to set up the carb? I see there is 2 adjustment screws on the sides? How do you set these??? Any othere carb stuff to check??

You should see 35-40 mph if everything is working correctly. If the motor seems to be running fine check your impeller. If it is nicked or bent that would explain why your top speed is off a little . If you feel any vibration in the handlebars at full speed that would also point to a damaged impeller. 180's and 360's are a blast on this machine as it is pretty much a flat bottom. The 2-carb screws are for low speed and high speed adjustment. One has a "L" next to the screw and the other one has an "H" next to it. Try adjusting them a 1/4 turn at a time to get the best setting. It only has 50 hp. so don't expect to run with the 750's. Great, great machine though. I have had several of them. Mine runs between 38-40 depending on the water and temp. ;)!

Do I want to turn those screws in or out? I dont feel any viberation on the top. Impeller looks ok. Plugs look fine but I thing I will try some new ones.

Thanks Ryan

Rode it again this afternoon and it seems to break up on the top end. Try the screws and it didnt seem to make much difference no mater which way I turned them? Seems like it may be starveing for fuel? Any other sugestions?

Thanks Ryan

Find out the stock settings and put them back there. Then change the plug caps and plugs. That machine is drop dead reliable but they (and all waverunners from back then) eat plug caps. The WRIII isn't fast so don't expect alot....

If you think you are starving for fuel on the top end check the in-line fuel filter as well as the small mini-strainer inside the fuel pump cover on the carb. I had this happen to me with both the filter and the screen.

Thanks for all the tips. I will check all these things and get back. I dont think I will be able to try it again untill the weekend. What is the stock seting for the screws? Do you crank them all the way in then back a number of turns? Also what is the plug gap supposed to be and how can I tell if my plug boots are bad? Will they show burning? or pitting? Thanks again for all the help and tips. I am new to Waverunners.

Ryan

Back