'03 Viper Front shocks - Can I convert these to fit '97 SX?

Fleabags

I have an opportunity to get a new set of '03 Front Viper Shocks. Can I make my '97 SX a long travel with these shocks? I know that these shocks were the ones that Yamaha returned due to the stiff ride, however , I could have them retuned for a resonable price and then I would have a long travel front end.

What would be required? The Viper shocks have a U shaped mount at one end and the SX shocks have the eyelet at each end.

Any help would be appreciated.

you will have to spread out the Front of the SX with different radius rods and steering linkage and sway bay linkage. Max Perf makes a kit for this.

I second what MrSled said about the width. To fit the shock to the sx bulkhead, just remove the upper shockbracket on the bulkhead, and get the rubber bushings from an sx-R or a Viper. Then just bolt the shocks on.

Viper Shocks - You're right, I do need the widening kit

Thanks guys you were correct!

I contacted Maxx Perf. today and spoke with Gary, he confirmed that I do indeed need the widening kit. He also said that the Viper shocks should be re-sprung and re-valved.

Wow!! this is getting to be expen$ive. I asked if I could use my SX springs to save some money. He thought that could definetly be an option that would save me over $200.00 ($55.00 + a spring). However, he did not know what the results would be.

Any of you ave any thoughts on this issue?

Who has the best widening kit? OEM? MAXX Perf.? Others?

Any input is appreciated.

I just did the same thing to my 99 sx. I used oem parts from a 01 to widen my front end. Try posting on the parts forum to find what you need.
If you have any question you can pm me

why don't you try to get a set of the new replacement shocks for the vipers, that's what I got, paid $125.00 USD each for them from mountainperformance.com and bought all the rods used on the parts forum for $100.00 USD and I now have long travel 42" wide front end, awesome, and I think a good price too.

My 2 cents...

Try to get hold of used 42,1" OEM radius rods and steering rods, make your own spacers for the swaybar links, and try the shocks with both springs before YOU decide if they need to be revalved or not. I assume you are also longtraveling the rear?

I just did the same thing this summer and it cost me 150 total. I got a set of viper shocks (thanks Mr. Sled) and radius rods/steering arms all on TY :D . It doesn't look like the sway bar will have to be changed. I added some spacers to take up some slack on the top shock mount and I'm all set. No revalving of the shocks or anything like that. I can get a pic of what I did if you want.

Thanks for all of the input guys!!!

I am suprised that you guys found used parts for this upgrade. It seems like everyone is trying to add long travel to their older SX models.

Monker, a pic would be great. If you can't post them, please send them to my email address pjwright@comcast.net

Thanks,

What if Viper Shocks were bolted right to SX front w/o widen

One of the guys on this site emailed me and said that he removed the top shock bracket off his SX and bolted the Viper long travel shocks right in (to the bulk head) without a widening kit. He told me that he loves it and could not believe that everyone is spending the money and time to put on widening kits. He has already put a whole season of riding on it and has no issues. Unfortunately, the Private Message he sent was automatically erased, and I do not remeber his name to ask him more questions.

I beleive that he rides mostly off-trail, so maybe the slightly higher ride height isn't an issue. I also ride offtrail (powder) about 75% of the time and my SX always seems to snow plow due to the limited clearance.

I spoke with the guys again at Maxx Perf. and they agreed that the long shocks will bolt right in after removing the upper shock brackets, however, he said the geometry will be off. When I asked him to explain, he stated that the front will set about an inch higher.

Is this so bad??? I understand that I may lose a little cornering, however, won't I be happier in the powder and especially pocketbook?

Does anyone have an experience or thoughts about this?

(By the way, I am also installing long travel in the rear so it should balance out the ride heights)

Thanks in advance.

just one thing

The 03 viper er shocks where the updated ones to begin with. At least that was my understanding the er had the new softer shocks. Maxdlx

Maxdlx. That is what I thought.

I thought the '03 SX Viper ER shocks were the updated ones, however, I have heard some conflicting opinions. The sled was mfg. in September 2002. The guy who sold them to me showed me the 2003 SX Viper ER that they came off of. The sled only had 300 miles on it.

If they were already updated, then why would Yamaha replace them for him?

It really would be nice not to have to spend the money to revalve and respring these things!!

Is their anyway of knowing for sure? Do the shocks have a part number or anything I can use to determine if they are the "improved" ones?

THANKS

I talked with Bruce from B-Line yesterday (He's the shock re-build guy that many TY's apparently use) . He told me that the updated shocks from Yamaha are too soft and people are breaking parts from bottoming and that the originals are, as we all know, way too stiff. The upshot, no matter which version you have, he recommended re-valving. We were only talking about the rear shocks, though. I'd give him a call about the fronts, he seemed very knowledgable on this subject. His number is: 651-257-0828.

Fleabags, As far as springs go, use factory ones from an older XTC (they will handle the longer travel because the XTC was a long travel). You can match the spring rates from the SX over to the XTC spring. They are a single rate spring and seem to work better than the dual rates off a later model SX-R. (Never did try Viper springs). Been there, done that. I seem to recall paying $28 a spring from my local Yamaha dealer. Maxximum did have a lising of springs used on all the models on their web site.

Back