UP Snophlyers, Delta Co, MI

hoffam19

After lots of trail closings in my area, I decided to join a club last year. the snophlyers used to be a part of NORMENCO, in menominee county but recently broke away to form a new club which is a very good thing for the trails around here because we werent getting the funding needed to keep up the trails, but now we are starting to get things done.

I'll quote our news section:

"The 05'-06' season was a success, financially, speaking in spite of some expensive breakdowns with our groomer. We have filed all the necessary paperwork to get in line for state funding for the purchase of a new groomer. This is not likely to happen until the 07'-08' season, but it does mean the state will pay for 75% of the cost of a new machine.

Also we have received a $56,321.98 grant to be used toward the designing of a bridge over the Whitefish River, which would connect the existing trail to Rapid River, which has already been rerouted to avoid road riding, with the Bay de Noc Cabin Cruisers Nahma Grade at the top of the Whitefish Hill. The bridge should be in place for the 07'-08' season.

Additionally we are working on a proposed trail from our existing trail to Perkins, then on to Rock, and finally ending up in Little Lake to connect with the existing trails up there. This will be a two stage project, the first stage being a trail to Perkins, hopefully this coming season, then from Perkins to Little Lake for the 07'-08' season.

Lastly we are going to try to raise funds through two different raffles this year, The MSA raffle, which we did rather well on last year, and we are going to hold our own raffle later on in the season for cash prizes tentatively of , $1000, $500, & $250. We would of course need club members to sell tickets. That's all for this months news. Our next meeting is scheduled for October 10, 2006, at the Gladstone Sports Park, we look forward to seeing you there."

Our web address is www.upsnophlyers.net, it's not quite done yet, but check back for updates as i will be finishing it soon hopefully, i dont have much time with work & school, but it's coming along check it out! ;)!

Last edited:

Hoffman ... aren't you in the Marquette area? Do you know what club cares for the trail around Deerton/Onota? We recently purchased property up there and we would like to get involved in a local club for when we move up there.

Thats what we are going for. just curious what/where are you currently doing/riding to get to the main trail system?

i ride along m35 on the old railroad bed up to m35 then continue on the old railroad bed up about 2 miles then along m35 to little lake. my cabin is right next to radio tower in lathrop. i will be sending you my membership form in the mail. this trail will be very nice.

hoffman i also ride the county road north of me back to the escanaba river. i cross the river. then on from there.

thanks for joining, every little bit helps. I'm going to propose at the next meeting that we send out monthly news letters that include the minutes of the last meeting so that all members are on the same page as far as whats going on.

I dont know the exact route of the proposed trail, but i think it will be running the side of m35 for a ways.

Be patient with us, and good things (trails) will come. We are just starting out and last year was actually our first year grooming our own trails. As far as I know that trail should be completely in place for next season. It could have been done for this season, but lack of manpower, lack of a groomer with rubber tracks (which we need to run down a couple of roads near rock), and the need for another complete groomer to groom that many miles in a week has held us back.

Back