sxr 600'sss

NorthShoreRider

How do they go??? I'm looking at picking up one for the chick and another for me. Its either a sxr 600 or an srx 700. I had an srx 600 last year and loved it, but the thing rode like a truck compared to the vmax4's I had with gty long travel kits.

How is the gas milage???
Are they fun to ride???
The difference is going to be about $1300.00 between the sxr 6 and the srx 7.
I'm thinkin I can burn a lot more gas with the extra cash but I have to sacrifice the top end speed.

Two sxr 600''s and 1300 in extra cash or......

One sxr 600 and one srx 700.....
What do you think???????

the SX-R6 is a really nice sled with the some slight tweaking....it will be a great trails sled and the SRX7 if its a 00 or newer is also a great sled fast and it will handle most of the rough stuff....but that where the sx-r will shine....hard call....I like my SX-R 7 and liked my SRX...the power is the thing that will make you smile ear to ear...

The sxr600 is much lighter than an SRX. The SXR won't ride smoothly though, it's meant to be ridden HARD to make those shocks work. You'll have to set it up for the riders weight either way, but the SXR will ride rougher than the SRX in my experience.

SRX's get great milage when stock, even better than the SXR600. Life is short, get what you want. You're going to work for it either way, right?

I think Johnny might have got his letters switched around . . . or maybe I'm confused (which happens all too frequently)

The SXr's offer a plusher ride and can be setup easier for a lighter rider. The SXr has "long travel" as opposed to the shorter travel on the SRX. However the 600 SXr will not keep up with a SRX without a lot of modding, but it can be very respectable with some tuning like Tom said.

Now if it is a SRX with Ohlins, it does offer a better ride than the KYB SRX.

For example for the 2002 models . . .

Front Spring Rates
SXr 1.3 - 2.1 - 2.5
SRX 2.0 - 3.0

Rear Center Rates
SXr 1.5 - 2.5
SRX 5.3

Rear Rates
SXr 2.8 - 4.8
SRX 2.5 - 4.5

Well, we are talking different skid geometry, but I'll conceed the point.

I have talked with quite a few SXR owners who thought they rode too stiff until the 1000mile mark, meaning they weren't pushing the sled enough to actually break the suspension in. These sleds can be almost miserable with a light weight rider on them, as you can only get those springs so loose. I sled with regular gas bag shocks such as mine is a better idea, same drivetrain, smoother ride.

I'm talking of course about the posters significant other, who's weight is yet to be given... :mrgreen:

sxr 600

Expect about 12mpg average. Ride is much improved (softer) by cranking UP the preload on the front shock of the skid frame, this takes about 2 minutes and you won't believe how much better the sled will ride. (trust me on this point) My SXR has over 15,500 miles and is still running the original spark plugs. The seat is still very comfortable, the original Yokohama track is still on it, and I still marval at how the sled seems like new. I took the shocks out of it today for service and it still smells new. I have always trailered it enclosed and kept it in heated garage in the winter, serviced it after every ride. I bought an extra engine and track on ebay for cheap so I expect to keep this sled for several more years till I move up to a four stroke. BTW the power is decent up to 80 at which time I'm getting scared anyway. (Still got kids to raise). The hand and thumb warmers will leave blisters if you leave them cranked up all the way on a cold day. I've ridden this sled 395 miles in a day and have done many 300 milers in Vermont as well as two trips around the Gaspe. Basicly this sled does everything I ask it to without complaint, what more could you ask for? DT

my sx600r

I love my sx, its a great chassis, I got a 2000 sx600r, with just under 3000 mils on it. I thinkits 2994 ,but its instorage so I cant be exact. The SX chassis is great in the twisties and handles the bumps great. Great thing about Yammi's , they usually start up on the first/second pull, while my DOO buddies are pulling 10 even 12 times....gas mileage is average about 11-12 a gallon

And Just for info.... My sled is for sale, I have a new one on order it's due in at culleys this September.....

2000, SX600R, just under 3000 miles, dealer serviced, reverse, includes cover (small tear where the bar poked through), Kimpex trailing arms, heated shield port, I figured 3000 bucks off season,3500 after september.....

If someone is interested let me know via Mikestill@5615.com, I'll need to call the place where it is stored and have them pull it out.

my wife has a 01 600 sxr, I road the crap out of that thing last year once in the ditch, my 97 sx 700 rides better, also took 2 complete turns out of all shocks but couldn't test it, we did alot of changing to this sled, but we ran out of snow first. my wife loved this sled before the changes, I think she will love the changes we made when she gets to ride next year. the 600 is a great sled, but some changes are in order, to make it really great.

I'm selling mine too getting a new Vector from Culleys. I think the 600 tripple is a great motor. Always starts right up decent on gas and plenty quick with clutching jetting etc. I put on the pioneer roller secondary which was 290$ best 290 i ever spent on a sled. It cornered well but road like a brick (i'm 165lb). Pioneer also re did my shocks and i put thier lighter strt rate springs on the front. Those springs made a marked difference in the ride without hurting how it handled. Actually ithink it handled much better in most cases as you could feel the front end actualy moving up and down as it went over bumps not just skipping off the top. That kept the skis planted on the snow. :rockon: ;)!

Back