Why do I read so many RX motors blowing rod bearings??

wantsnow

Hey guy's!

I've read more and more of you guys with rod bearings blowing and ending up with holes in your crankcase! Is this starting to be a common problem with yamaha 4 strokes. I haven't even picked up my 04 warrior yet but I'm starting to have second thoughts! Should I be worried about this or is this only happening to sleds with heavy mod's? Please reassure me as I finally switched to Yamaha in hopes of reliabilty!

Thanks
Rob ( Ontario, Canada)

it happens, but nearly as often as a 2 stroke blowing up. i have heard of a few rod bolts loosening and rods breaking. no matter how good the motor is they are still made by humans and mistakes happen.

jr_amsoil said:
one of my buddies had the rod blow and its sittin in a pile now but it happens ;):D

Knocked a good size hole in the block behind the starter as well. Motor had less than 1500 miles on it. All stock 2003 RX-1. Seems to me that most of the sleds having rod issues are 2003's. :dunno: Did Yamaha change any of the internals for 2004??

Last edited:
Hey Short STOP20, any pre-cautions that you would recommend for me as I just bought an '04Warrior. I don't want to, I mean CAN't afford to fix this if it happens to me. This type of repair must cost a fortune to fix on these sleds!
Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks!

shortstop20 said:
I'd help you if I knew what caused it but I don't know. I don't think very many of them are throwing rods, but I do feel there's a few more blowing them than there should be.

The guy that had this one blow up heard it making noise for awhile before it let go, but kept riding it. :o| :o| I know for a fact it had been hot before and low on oil. A little regular servicing goes along way in my book. Just because they are 4 strokes doesnt mean they are indestructable.

Mine went because of water (moisture in the oil tank). I didnt change it within the 300 miles I owned it. Leason learned.

Only noise was detination.

cacsrx1 said:
The guy that had this one blow up heard it making noise for awhile before it let go, but kept riding it. :o| :o| I know for a fact it had been hot before and low on oil. A little regular servicing goes along way in my book. Just because they are 4 strokes doesnt mean they are indestructable.

I told him that I would park it if it was me, but what can you do? :dunno: I didn't know that it had been hot and low on oil before. :o| How did it get hot?

Brand new first time out,( no miles ) we took it up north to ride the lakes. Warmed it up untill it shut itself off. 2 Years ago out in the snowies, oil level light came on but kept riding it. Those are the times that I know of.

cacsrx1 said:
Brand new first time out,( no miles ) we took it up north to ride the lakes. Warmed it up untill it shut itself off. 2 Years ago out in the snowies, oil level light came on but kept riding it. Those are the times that I know of.
didnt know about the that in the snowies. yea when we were in the hills he should have parked it. better yet find a cliff :2strokes:

Back