Viper wine noise

Every sled has that sound, the viper is so freakin quiet that you notice it more.

If you don't have a bearing going and your chain is set to spec, you could run Amsoil synth chain lube, it should quiet it down a bit. Good luck!

Whine

Take it for what its worth, last year the mount bolt on the lower gear sheered off exploding everything in the chain case. Dealer r+r everything with oem, no more whine. Dealer says maybe chain??

If your chain is too tight you will hear a real loud hi pitch wine. Make sure adjuster bolt is finger tight...not any more.

My viper is quiet. I have about 90 miles on it though..................Love the ride..........!!

after riding the first 200 miles I noticed lots of play in the drive train, at that point I adjusted the chain tension to finger tight and locked it down. 200 miles later the chain ratchited after breaking hard and again I found there was lots of play on the jackshaft so again adjusted chain tension and noticed the drive train whine while coasting (chain tension finger tight plus a turn or so). At this point after putting on the first 600 miles on the sled it is sloppy again so I am taking it to dealer for warranty service, hopefully they will solve the issue. Any feedback would be appriciated!

I don't get into all this technical stuff, so I'm going to ask. This wine/whine noise that you hear is it when you let off the throttle? I have an 04 that when I let off the throttle or coast down a hillI hear whine . Is there an adjustment for this? I only have 100 miles on it, is this normal during breakin. Also, being a new sled there seems to be a clunk sound when you apply the break. Again, the break is a little more touchy than what I'm used to so when I got on it very carefully it didn't make this sound. Any thoughts.....

I think the whining noise they they are talking about is in the cahin case, and I believe that it is just the type of chain used, I have heard that the firecats use the same brand of chain and they make the same noise, I'm not certain about this though. The noise is normal, all vipers do it, if its working, the best thing to do is to leave it, I mean its not that annoying. As for you vipergirl, your noise is coming from the brakes. That noise is pressure of the brake fluid going through the system and applying the brakes, as for the "clunk" its probably caused from over braking and everything stopping to quickly and locking up, I do it myself quite a bit, it is the sound of the track locking up, probably not too good for everything, haha.

Noise

I have the same noise with my sxviper. When i let off the trottle or costing down hill. No idea what it is. I have checked out the chain and adjusted everything I could adjust. Just might be the type of chain used. My srx700 has no noise. It is a little louder though.

SXViperGirl

They say you have to adjust your chain case after the first 50 miles. I forgot to adjust mine and my sled made the "clunking" type noise you discrided. Like some one said earlier in the post adjust the chain case, should be finger tight.

whine

I have noticed this on my Viper as well. Thinking it was brake noise I then loosed the parking brake. The noise is still there but not constantly like before.

One more thing

SXViperGirl : You might want to check your track ... mine was too loose, not sure why it loosened up but that may be the cause of some noise.

As for the whine ... there is still a slight whine noise, but nothing drastic and the finger tightening of the chain casae took away the clunking noise you discribed (however mine did not occur when I hit the brake, but when I let off the gas).

Gina

viper whine

I had same problem with mine. Whining when letting off gas(very annoying) . Problem was not in chain even tho sound was coming from there. I had a bearing on the inner idler wheel on rear suspension just below the control rods that was binding up. Freed up bearing and noise was gone.

whining when going down steep hill

I believe the noise you all are hearing is engine braking. My sled and my old belt driven yamaha kodiak quad made the same noise when I was going down a steep hill. From what I can gather, the track or wheels are spinning at a higher speed than the engine is turning at. And the engine is trying to slow them down via the clutches. Anyone that has driven an automatic clutch quad will know what I'm talking about. Again, this noise only refers to steep declines.

The sound is normal. It happens on my Viper. It is just the Hyvo chain they use. My friend's brand new Polaris sounds the same and uses the same type of chain.
As far as the clunking goes, that is normal too. I have had 4 other Yamaha's with the Nissin brake. 97 and up, they all made that sound when you lock up the brake really fast. All it is is the brake grabbing the rotor and stopping the secondary clutch.

Both of my Vipers have the winding sound, it does it more when the brakes are applied.And it is loud and it is normal!!!!

As far as adjusting the chaincase do it after a few hundred miles because when the chain is new it will stretch and after that usually once or twice a year check it...Finger tight

This is done much easier with the bread basket removed......

I agree with the that the chain maybe overtightened. I did mine to tight once and it was whining bad. Lossened it a bit an all was fine.

It is the chain. My SRX does it when the chain is to spec. I like to finger tighten it and then back it off 1/4 of a turn. It is much quieter that way and I don't like to run them super tight I have seen them break because off it.

yamaha noises

all these noises seem to be normal to me my 03 sxr600 makes all the same noises the winding noise down steep hills the clunk when you lock your brakes hard..... it all im sure has to deal with all these things(track,drivewheels,idlerwheels,drive chain,brake rotor,clutches) rotating...... 1 pound of rotating weight is equal to 10 pounds stationary weight so think about all the weight that is circulating im sure its all gonna make some kind of noise (tracks can be very noisy) ....sxvipergirl asuming you mixed your gas for the first tank since your sled is new you may have to adjust some things like idle and belt deflection your track like yamahagirl said and drive chain tension wich is something i have to check also id also change your plugs after running that tank of 50:1 have someone check those things if you dont know how its all simple stuff no need to take to dealer .......later .....hit some drifts for me :twisted:

buzz

Back