Replacing Exciter fuel lines + question

kimoaj

Hi guys!

Today I went and picked up an Exciter belonging to one of my riding buddies, going to replace all the fuel lines, choke button/wires and mount a new primer.

HPIM1952Medium.jpg

It has a 121" 2" lugs track, cool to ride.

HPIM1953Medium.jpg

I have never seen as many hoses and wires inside a snowmobile, didn`t show that well on this pic though.

HPIM1959Medium.jpg

After 1,5 hours it looked like this. Stupid construction, everything must be removed to gain proper access to the airfilter/carbs etc.

HPIM1961Medium.jpg

And finally the question:
HPIM1962Medium.jpg

What is this?. Seems like it there used to be a cable attached to it, but it`s out of order.. ?.

There is also an electrical-thing on the carbs that is disconnected?. (probably an elevation fuel/air adjuster ??)

I also found another wierd thing that I forgot to take a picture of, it was sitting about the chaincase, had a cable attached to it and a knob, just like a choke cable, on the other end there was a little "piston" (just like the choke piston in a carb), there were gas line connectors on it also.
Wierd.. .

The Exciter must have been "ahead of it`s time".

Oh, when I picked up the sled I got a bag with old snowmobile magazines, some of them dates back to the beginning of the 90`s !!. Awesome.

Wellwell

It's the compression release. You would open them to help it start easier.
Just take it out and plug the hole. Or as someone has done, just take the cable off and forget about them. They weren't that hard to start anyway. :2strokes:

The reason everbody got rid of them was they would leak compression after a while and hurt power.........as that one looks like it has a lot of leakage.
Don't know what the other thing is with out seeing a pic of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 6
If you're changing fuel lines, then I'd recommend you change ALL of them especially the one that runs to the BOTTOM of the gas tank and serves as your fuel guage (by your right knee when sitting on the seat). Once the lines get hard and brittle, they tend to leak from the connections and, well, you don't want a leak from the BOTTOM of your fuel tank. If you know what I mean.

Loved my Exciter and miss it a lot.

Exciterfan

Hi guys !

Thanks for all the nice replies, nice Exciter you got there snosmoguy, seems to be in much better condition then the one I`ve been working on.

Now I`ve changed all the fuel lines, and yes I also replaced the gas-measurement hose. The first time I started it up it run kind of wierd, just as if it was running on one cylinder, I drove it down the driveway, then I spotted fuel dripping from underneath the sled. It was late, dark, and it was raining, so I decided to take a look at it the next day.
In order to get the sled moving again (was icy everywhere) I had to pull it down into a ditch, so the sled was really uneven, then when I started it, it run like a champ, but fuel still leaked. (wierd).

The last 5 days I`ve stuck on the shitter with heavt stumach problems, if you know what I mean, so I didn`t get to take a look at the Exciter before today.
On the PTO side carb, the overflow hose that attaches to the bottom of the float chamer, and then goes to a "connection" on the air filter side of the carb, and then the hose continues, had loosened ???. Wierd.
Since the overflow hose was directed upwards, the fuel stopped coming out of it due to gravity, and I expect that everything is the way it should be now.
Took it for a little test ride and it actually pulled nicely.

HPIM1967Medium.jpg

Here`s the unknown device I was wondering about.. .

Wellwell :)

That is a cable operated fuel shut off from the 87-89 (?) Exciter. The handle which looked like a choke lever was on the left side of dash below the fairing. Trust me I know......when I got my Brand new 1988 Exciter home and could not get it to start I promptly drove it back to the dealer and was just about to ream him out really good...... :whine: when a worker went outside climbed up on my trailer and started it right up........Yep...Found out if the lever was in the "ON" position (the fuel was shut OFF)...... :o| ! ! ! How embarrassing is that ? My 1990 Exciter has a manual shut off to the Rt. of the fuel filler cover.

Hi guys !!
Good guess snomowguy.
Aha interesting :).

Wierd actually.. cable operated fuel shut off "valve" , but I guess it was easy to use atleast:).
So the fuel lines was connected to the wrong "inlet/outlet" on the shut off ?.

Back