Yamaha’s R&D Nytro race sled exposed

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Pleasant Prairie, WI (November 22, 2006)— Boss Racing’s Defending Champion, Robbie Malinoski, and Yuji Nakazawa make their Yamaha debut on the WPSA Power Sports Snowmobile Tour at the Amsoil Duluth National this weekend.

The pair is taking Yamaha’s 4-Stroke Challenge to the race track by campaigning R&D Nytro race sleds in this year’s Pro Open class. The program is the first of its kind in snocross. “With rumors running rampant about what these two champion racers might be driving this season, we thought we’d do something else unprecedented,” explained Yamaha Race Manager Greg Marier. “We’re going to throw the doors open before race day and tell fans what they can expect to see on the snow at Spirit Mountain.”

All about the testing
First glance at the R&D Nytro race sled will tell fans that this is truly a developmental sled, not a finished and polished machine. The chassis is built to allow the development team to change suspension mounting locations and geometry. The ergonomics are fully adjustable, giving the drivers the opportunity to provide their feedback on what the ideal should be. Engine mount location has moved around, as the team is field-testing the best location for balance and handling.

Malinoski is excited to get the season started. “I know that the whole year is geared toward R&D, but I’m coming into each race at least to earn a podium finish. The sled has a lot of power already, and we’re not even through first race yet.”

The facts on the snow
Going into the first race, this is what the R&D Nytro race sled will have onboard. The engine is a Nytro-based, 3-cylinder 973cc 4-stroke powerplant, according to the ISR racing rules. The front suspension, bulkhead, and side panels are a derivative of the Phazer design. The rear suspension uses a developmental torsion spring design. Current sled weight is equal or less than other mod sleds on the track.

“I am confident we’re going to win some races this winter and really change people’s minds about Yamaha’s 4-stroke sleds,” said Boss Racing Owner Garry Querel. We have seen some amazing technology from Yamaha so far and I am confident that we will meet any challenges head-on and bring home wins on race day!”

Boss Racing is sponsored by Yamaha Motor Corporation, Yamalube, FXR, GYTR, Öhlins, Camoplast, Stud Boy and Fly.

Attachments

• Robbie 1.jpg
    Robbie 1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 390
  • Robbie 2.jpg
    Robbie 2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Robbie 3.jpg
    Robbie 3.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Robbie 4.jpg
    Robbie 4.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 354
  • static 1.jpg
    static 1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 376

Not the prettiest to look at, but I guess that is the world of R&D! I do like the thought of a 120 horse 4 stroke in a Phazer derived chassis though!! :)

can you say shoe horn.....Hey all i can say is Y is on the right track,they did it with motocross bikes and now they are well on the way to be the 4 stroke killers in sno cross....this is righteous

Well, that sure shows their dedication to the effort to be competive.

Ike

Cuzino19 said:
How the hell did they get the Nytro engine in there?

I asked Tom to try and find out if they're using a 14 or 15" tunnel over on the 4stroke side. If it's 14"(and I hope it is), then mabye they have a venture lite bulkhead mounted (venture is 15" track), or cast a new bulkhead(not that hard to do in sand casting, not sure about die casting). Either way, this very likely means we'll see a 120 Phazer in a year or two. ;)! ;)! ;)!

Maybe its just the angle of the pictures but the clutches seem to be very low in the chassis. The motor must sit very low. Even the secondary seems low. Maybe a direct drive? Looks like the making of a very awesome sled. They are definately moving in the right direction.

the pics where it is just sitting on the ground, it doesn't look like much travel in the rear????

but when it is in the air, there is plenty hanging down then...?

Depth of the tunnel makes it look like there isn't much travel. But i'm sure there's lots!!!

Neah...it ain't ugly...unattractive yes...but its whats inside this baby that makes it sweet...hehehehe...Think about what it'll look like once it gets into consumer hands...
It'll be all polished up and refined...this baby looks like a prototype still in the works...
Its only gunna get better fer sure...

They mentioned that the tunnel and the bulkhead allow to move suspension and motor mount positions. The low travel you see is extra tunnel to allow for repositioning. I'm excited to see Y's dedication to sno-X with 4 strokes....you know they will succeed.

All I Can Say Is "wow" Sure Would Love To Ride That Bad Boy Up On Tug Hill And Watch The Reactions Of The Ski-donts

Back