What if I use Long travel shocks without Widening my '97 SX?

Fleabags

One of the guys on this site emailed me and said that he removed the top shock bracket off his SX and bolted the Viper long travel shocks right in (to the bulk head) without a widening kit. He told me that he loves it and could not believe that everyone is spending the money and time to put on widening kits. He has already put a whole season of riding on it and has no issues. Unfortunately, the Private Message he sent was automatically erased, and I do not remeber his name to ask him more questions.

I beleive that he rides mostly off-trail, so maybe the slightly higher ride height isn't an issue. I also ride offtrail (powder) about 75% of the time and my SX always seems to snow plow due to the low front end clearance.

I spoke with the guys at Maxx Perf. and they agreed that the long shocks will bolt right in after removing the upper shock brackets, however, he said the geometry will be off. When I asked him to explain, he stated that the front will set about an inch higher.

Is this so bad??? I understand that I may lose a little cornering, however, won't I be happier in the powder and especially in the pocketbook?
(By the way, I am also installing long travel in the rear so it should balance out the ride heights)

Does anyone have an experience or thoughts about this?

One more question. The long travel shocks are bought are off of an '03 SX Viper ER, are they really that bad without the rebuild/revalve. Wouldn't they be better than my old worn out SX shocks? I am trying to save some money that's all.

Thanks in advance.

MrSled, please explain

MrSled,

What exactly do you mean by bump steer? Can you please explain?

Thanks!

This will change the skis position enough to make the ski not flat and pull them in ....you will be riding on the outside edge of the ski....when the sled goes through its stroke the skis will tip way in and then out ...not linear like they should....

Thanks Mr.Sled

Thanks for the reply MrSled.

I hadn't thought about that, makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't think it would be that noticable in the powder, however, as soon as I go on the hard pack I bet I would be unhappy with the handling.

I guess I'll just suck it up and spend the money for the widening kit. As stated in my other post. Now I have to decide what to do with the (4) 2003 SX Viper ER Shocks:
1) Use as is ?
2) re-valve only?
3) re-valve and re-spring (too expensive for me right now)
4) re-valve and try to use some of my SX components springs

Any ideas? I'llleave you alone now.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE!

its only another $150 or $200 to get new Radius Rods and steering rod. Shocks will cost about 35 to 45 to revlave each.....you can always run it as is and see how you like the firm rid of the Viper Shocks....At least put the rear skid shocks in with the low front...it still works well.

Back